• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Vectorizing In Flexi

captainron19

Was looking for Pizza Clipart (Posted in another area of forum) - Customer who wants me to make the graphic for his Pizza Place Window just emailed me a bitmap of a little pizza guy that he would like to have. This is my first time attempting to vectorize somethign using Flexi Pro 7.0

Every time I go to Bitmap, Vectorize, then do an auto trace it does not come up well at all. I have tried different settings in there. Can anyone offer any insight?

Graphic is below

Attachments

• pizza-guy.bmp
    28.1 KB · Views: 196

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
What you have there is a bitmap that is too small to get a good autotrace from. Just not enough data there to work on. I tried it using Flexi Bezier autotrace and it was barely passable.

My suggestion is to send it to The Vector Doctor and for a few bucks he will do you a good quality version and email it back to you.

WVB

Pizza Pizza (piece of pizza) One pizza guy. Or at least a good foundation for you to work from. Illustrator 7.0 ai

Attachments

• PizzaGuy.zip
    51.3 KB · Views: 167
Last edited:

Derf

This is easy! take the image into Photoshop.

select: image> mode> grayscale.
Then: Image> Image size 6"x100% at 600 ppi.
Next: Filter> Blur> Gaussian Blur 11.4pt
Next: Image> adjustments> threshold (play with slider)
Next: Filter> Blur> Gaussian Blur 5pt

Save as *.tif and import into Flexi and auto trace

I know it will work because I just did it. it took less than 5 min and looks good

this always works for me it just takes a few times doing it to get it down

LedderHed

All I did was import the raw image into flexi and File/vectorize/bezier, and it looks great just the way it is. But I do like the idea of pulling it into photoshop, if the image is hard to pick up outlines.

S

Sign-Man Signs

Got it. Send me email to steve@signmansigns for a vectorized copy. No charge. Merry Christmas.

iSign

even though the immediate need seems to have been solved, I will offer another method.

Derf has a good suggestion that I have also used on occassion. Freds suggestion is great also... just tried vectordoctor the other day & was extremely satisfied with fees, timeframe & quality...

but this image is a perfect example of the kind of artwork that can easily be made scan-ready if it's too small. I'll take Derf's word that with a little blurring & refining it was usable, but if it wasn't usable... just print the fuzzy worthless file about 3" or 4" tall & then trace it by hand. This idea is more difficult on very exacting geometric shapes... but this one would be a piece of cake, you will then have crisp lines (& a wee bit of satisfaction for the rare use of a pen or pencil these days) & this drawing will vectorize much better then the original with 5 minutes of low-tech help from you.

#1 SignPro

Try Inkscape.org. Free to download and quick and super clean artwork. Ive been in the Biz
for 20 years and used to use Derfs method quite a bit, but ever since I was turned on to Inkscape I rarely do anymore.

PMG

Try Inkscape.org. Free to download and quick and super clean artwork. Ive been in the Biz
for 20 years and used to use Derfs method quite a bit, but ever since I was turned on to Inkscape I rarely do anymore.
The trace in Inkscape is real good maybe even better than Illys !!!!!!!!

trik

even though the immediate need seems to have been solved, I will offer another method.

Derf has a good suggestion that I have also used on occassion. Freds suggestion is great also... just tried vectordoctor the other day & was extremely satisfied with fees, timeframe & quality...

but this image is a perfect example of the kind of artwork that can easily be made scan-ready if it's too small. I'll take Derf's word that with a little blurring & refining it was usable, but if it wasn't usable... just print the fuzzy worthless file about 3" or 4" tall & then trace it by hand. This idea is more difficult on very exacting geometric shapes... but this one would be a piece of cake, you will then have crisp lines (& a wee bit of satisfaction for the rare use of a pen or pencil these days) & this drawing will vectorize much better then the original with 5 minutes of low-tech help from you.

Couldn't agree more, I hand trace all the time, just makes the job more fun.

:thumb:

igneous

at the finish, it's signgirl71 for the win~!

"i'd like to thank msoft for all their cheesy, easy to recognize clip-farts"

Pat Whatley

Maybe he's still looking for it. I would really love to see a HOW-TO from Lederhead on how he got that to trace great in Flexisign. I can't get Flexi to trace high resolution art worth a squat, much less a thumbnail like that.

signgirl71

I use flexi all the time for vectorizing - I wouldn't use anything else. I have other shops come to me all the type to vectorize stuff. In fact, just did some this morning. Tools are easy to use and it takes just seconds to clean-up what flexi doesn't. Now if they would just make flexi have those nice drop shadows that Corel has......
As for this thread being old - I noticed that too. Don't know how it got back up to the top but if he's still lookin for that clipart then somebody really needs help-lol!