• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Versa Camm SP 300 - Color Rip - Browns looking Green

jhd

I have been supplied a jpeg from a client which has many brown tones, after printing - when viewing outside it has a greenish tint.
I print from Corel X4 - publish to PDF and usually only run into issues with grays - never browns. I'm printing on 3M IJ180C. Any Suggestions?

Ken

Hello jhd....whatever your name is...(Hope that's not Jihad)..lol
I am an Sp300 user for about 7 years now...
Send me the file..I'll do a mini print to see if my output is similar.
I would recommend that you try different color profiles....?
Substrate..incoming file ( instead of pdf..try .tiff.)
Don't give up.
Cheers!
Ken

jhd

Under my interior Lights in my shop the color looks spot on, but as soon as I take a look at it outside the brown has a greenish tint. Ken - I'd like to send you the file - send me your info, are you using color-rip

cdiesel

My guess would be that the profiles are off. The quick and easy fix for this job would be to increase magenta, decrease cyan, or both. I haven't used ColorRIP in years.. in Versaworks, it's as simple as moving the sliders in the color adjustments tab.

As for the difference you see inside vs outside, every light is different, and will interact with the inks differently. It's best to view the print in the same setting that it will be used.

Bigdawg

Just Me
Under my interior Lights in my shop the color looks spot on, but as soon as I take a look at it outside the brown has a greenish tint. Ken - I'd like to send you the file - send me your info, are you using color-rip

I'm not entirely sure it's a profile problem... i think it's a lighting problem. We have the same issues when we print on our VP540. Using our custom profile, manufacturer supplied or the more generic ones - the colors shift when exposed to natural lighting.

We were told by more than one Roland tech after the "great gray debacle" while printing a wrap, that the color shift in different lighting is not a fixable problem other than to create profiles for both indoor and outdoor use. I believe they are correct... but haven't had time to build a profile that compensates for that difference. I've been adjusting colors manually.

Custom_Grafx

I'm not entirely sure it's a profile problem... i think it's a lighting problem. We have the same issues when we print on our VP540. Using our custom profile, manufacturer supplied or the more generic ones - the colors shift when exposed to natural lighting.

We were told by more than one Roland tech after the "great gray debacle" while printing a wrap, that the color shift in different lighting is not a fixable problem other than to create profiles for both indoor and outdoor use. I believe they are correct... but haven't had time to build a profile that compensates for that difference. I've been adjusting colors manually.

That's an interesting point. When building custom icc's I use an i1, and that doesn't rely on ambient light, it's simply measuring the colour, using its own industry standard light. You can make changes to the custom profile in iMatch software though. So if you felt it looked too "green" you can make it more "red" etc. In this way it takes a bit of the guesswork out of it, as it will apply the shift to the whole profile and not just for one particular situation or colour.

Firefox

Just put in 5000 degree kelvin lamps and everything will look the same as it does in noon time sun!

Works great in a color box or in the press room for color matching.

Custom_Grafx

Just put in 5000 degree kelvin lamps and everything will look the same as it does in noon time sun!

Works great in a color box or in the press room for color matching.

Very true! This should be a standard workroom setup for all of us in this industry, no?

TheSellOut

For what is worth jhd is a very good friend of mine...and he's definitely no jihad, lol! We've known each other since high school, even started at the same sign/print press, and are now both in business about 30 mins from each other! He is a talented & creative signmaker with a great attention to quality & service!

J it looks as if you are getting some good help here and I think we both need to get some of these kelvin lamps. Thanks guys I've been needing to work on my office lighting!

It's best to view the print in the same setting that it will be used.

+1 on this!

Mosh

OMG!!! send it as a tiif to the printer and see what happens! Do a search on the 101 tihis is covered like 563 times. Naddilie, if that ain't the truth my name ain't Geno sign-a-mo!!! Pa-zaaah!

Bigdawg

Just Me
That's an interesting point. When building custom icc's I use an i1, and that doesn't rely on ambient light, it's simply measuring the colour, using its own industry standard light. You can make changes to the custom profile in iMatch software though. So if you felt it looked too "green" you can make it more "red" etc. In this way it takes a bit of the guesswork out of it, as it will apply the shift to the whole profile and not just for one particular situation or colour.

That's what we use, but I'm running into some funny color problems myself unrelated to this - not to thread pirate although I am - but how often (if ever) do you redo your profiles?

Custom_Grafx

That's what we use, but I'm running into some funny color problems myself unrelated to this - not to thread pirate although I am - but how often (if ever) do you redo your profiles?

I've only had the i1 since about november last year, and i just got a new printer so i've reprofiled everything again (or in the process) - I have no idea how often it should be done? I'm guessing maybe twice a year is ok? The colours I need to usually match are PMS ones. Photos are coming out nicely so far - I do notice that in "general" if i give my photos a bit more kick on screen they come out just right - but that's just my preference in some cases.

How often do you reprofile?

jhd

Thanks everyone, still having some issues - trying to work through them. I'd pull my hair out - but I'm Bald.

Better Late Than Never!

Thanks everyone, still having some issues - trying to work through them. I'd pull my hair out - but I'm Bald.

Just had the same issue with brown. I got out my trusty little Pantone Coated book and held it up to the window and low and behold some browns appeared greenish but some were fine. I chose Pantone Solid Coated 476c as my starting point. I needed my background to be a darker brown so I flipped the color over to CMYK and adjusted only the K and voi la! it printed great and and there was no sign of greenish hues when I took it outside!

Hope this reply saves someone else from the same headache in the future!