• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

VersaCamm Refill Ink Cartridges

hjlanda22

I have just learned that you can buy for this printer empty ink cartridges and buy ink in bulk (bottles) and refill them.

I personally think that I should probly stick to ROLAND ONLY and just replace the cartridges as needed I use the Eco Sol MAX inks.

I thought I would get other opinions on this issue....

Have you tried it?
Does it save you enough money to compensate the labor of having to fill the cartridges?

Thanks

Mason

I havent tried it and dont intend to, the roland cartridges have a sensor in them that tell the printer when they are empty, if your in the process of a print job and run out the machine will pause printing until you replace the cartridge and then resume the job, I wouldnt want to find out this mechanism was worn out and pork a job over trying to save a few dollars.. just my opinion.

darinbushman

I have been using NUSIGN's refill cartridges, they are great, no issues.. Give them a call they can explain all the unique issues with each machine and cart.. I personally run the Triangle MLD Inks.. I like them much better than roland in drying time, cost and color.

Robert M

ALTA Inks

There are a four issues with going to the bulk cartridges you are looking at. As the end of ink sensor has already been mentioned (this is the plastic tab that pokes out of the cartridge when it is empty) The other obvious problem is that all your profiles will change. The third problem with the refillable cartridges is that they need to be at certain level (sweet spot) or the heads can suffer ink starvation. Before you do anything you need to drain all the OEM ink, flush the system, and then install the new inks.
That is the reason we introduced our line of ink. We use sealed cartridges filled with ink that matches the OEM inks in chemical make-up and color. You just plug and play. More info is at www.altainks.com
220mL cartridges are $49.95
440 mL cartridges are $95.00
Call 800-328-1306 for more info

S

Stan B

I think I pay 6x $110 for 440ml original MAX inks + free next day delivery... I think that $15 price difference with alta inks is a little too low to makeme take a chance on another inks... Do you offer better pricing on purchases of 6 carts at a time? what do you charge for shipping?

Thanks!!!

petepaz

the orig. cart.s are not that expensive
also i have heard stories of the refills not lasting as long
not a big enough savings to bother
and is there a big mess when you refill

customsticker

Not worth a few dollars to void the warranty on your printer if anything goes wrong. Even when my printer is out of warranty, I would never put "off brand" inks in an Roland Printer that costs $20k+.

A few dollars for a ton of headaches? Not worth it to me or anyone else I have spoken to.

I know that triangle inks can be run and many people use them - but Triangle also has a claim that they will back up their inks. I haven't heard this claim from any of the other "off brand" companies.

I don't think Triangle has matched Roland inks either, from what I have heard they have their own formula that is supposed to give you a wider color gamut - not save you a few dollars, risk your printers health and give you the same color gamut.

All in all - it's a no go for me; especially when their alta inks website doesn't even work, or offer any information.

threeputt

We run the Roland SP-540V, 18 months old, and wouldn't risk aftermarket inks. The machine is just too expensive and service calls too expensive to warrant the risk. Don't be penny wise...and pound foolish as my mom would say. Just my opinion.

ChiknNutz

I've been using aftermarket bulk Triangle inks since day-one with my machine with no ill effects whatsover. This has been in place for about 20 months now. If anything was going to happen, it would have long ago. I cannot speak for other non-OEM inks, but these inks have been outstanding. I got this before the MAX inks even came out and anyone that used the precursor to MAX can attest to the fact that it wasn't very good.

chopper

I just ordered a set of alta inks just know and when I try them I will let you know how they perform//chopper

PS alta also claims that they will back up thier inks if problems occure

hjlanda22

Thank you for all the input after finding out more about it I think I will stick to oem inks for this printer you are right the machine is FAR to expensive to risk it. AS they say "If it aint broke, dont fix it" I am still learning the machine also and I am getting GREAT color out of it from when I first hooked it up so I wouldnt want to mess with the formula of a happy user/printer relationship:Cool 2:

tmac

Some one at a trade show told me Roland would not warranty a printer that had different inks in it,I dont know if the printer saves a code in it when a different cartridge is put in?

mediaman

The Roland printer warranty is only valid if Roland OEM inks are used in the equipment. Here is a line from their recent upgrade to two-year on printers other than the VersaCAMMs.

"The Two-Year Trouble-Free Warranty covers parts and labor for all Roland Inkjet products except the VersaCAMM SP series that are registered with the company’s customer service department within 60 days of purchase and equipped exclusively with Roland ink sets."

thewood

I can also vouch for the Triangle Inx. We've been running the JVS series for the Mimaki for about 3 years. They are full solvent, though, and run around $100/liter.

threeputt

I just ordered a set of alta inks just know and when I try them I will let you know how they perform//chopper

PS alta also claims that they will back up thier inks if problems occure

Can you tell me how far the warranty extends? To just replacement of the inks? Or....Replacement of the value of work that goes bad 6 months after installation on the vehicle and needs to be made good on? Replacement of pumps, lines, print heads, etc?

Checkers

Maybe the laws have changed some since the last time I checked, but a manufacturer can not void a warranty just because you're using "aftermarket" parts. Just look at the automobile industry or the Gerber Edge.
The only things they may be able to void are the parts that come in direct contact with the ink - lines, heads or pumps. However, your aftermarket ink manufacturer should offer some sort of warranty covering those parts. If not, I don't think it would be worth the switch.

Checkers

design unfolds

Hi everyone, i am new here, just would like to know how Roland knows if you are using OEM ink or aftermarket ink? Is there some kind of device that detect 3rd party ink?