• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

very large write on erase magnetic board prob

gabagoo

I have a client looking to do a write on erase board. He sent me an excel chart and I almost fell off my chair when I looked at it. There are 170 rows and he wants to write in them. I told him we can get some fine or medium erase markers but it might be best to run this on 2 4 x 8's side by side.

This is a huge facility so 2 would probably work well. The question I have is that he says some of the columns he wants to use magnets. I know the steel boards are awfully expensive and generally cheap too, so I was thinking of getting something like 20 gauge tin cut to fit just the columns he needs mags for. I know it will work if I coat them in white digital vinyl then lam with write on erase lam. what you think about doing it that way...to much hassle? maybe just buy the 4 x 8 mag boards? If I do that I still have to print the graphic and run the write on erase lam...seems like a waste.
your thoughts?

J Hill Designs

if you have to add print, I would not use porcelain coated steel....just ferrous substrate with digi print and dry erase lam

Letterbox Mike

We've done lots of magnetic menu boards using 24 ga roofing sheet metal. Most cities will have a roofing supply house that stocks it in alot of colors, including white and black. It's still steel so it's not exactly light, but you could attach it somehow to a wood backer and it would be great. And just mount your printed/laminated grid to it and you're done.

gabagoo

We've done lots of magnetic menu boards using 24 ga roofing sheet metal. Most cities will have a roofing supply house that stocks it in alot of colors, including white and black. It's still steel so it's not exactly light, but you could attach it somehow to a wood backer and it would be great. And just mount your printed/laminated grid to it and you're done.

yes I go to a heating mechanical supplier and get them to cut it on their shear. Heavy true so possibility it may fall off in time. To do the entire board would be so heavy and floppy... I will feel the client out and see what their budget is. I suppose I could actually just build a sign frame and try and get the thinnest available steel then coat it, although I dont like the idea of going bigger than a 4 x8 with the weight

sjm

Have you considered Drytac Ferro (Metal Paper)?

It is a magnet receptive material and also possibly a dry erase laminate for your client's write on, wipe off requirements ?

gabagoo

Have you considered Drytac Ferro (Metal Paper)?

It is a magnet receptive material and also possibly a dry erase laminate for your client's write on, wipe off requirements ?

not heard of it but I also dont want to get jacked into having to buy a full roll of the stuff. I take it drytac sells it. I will call them and get some feedback from them
Thanks

ratchet

while I'm not sure how well your print would stick to it (never tried it myself), magnetic paint may also be an option.

Gene@mpls

I am doing a much smaller dry erase/magnet board for our own use and
I am using good old magnetic sheeting- I will laminate for dry eraseability
and glue to an existing panel. Seems to work fine.

digitalwoodshop

I make Magnetic Boards and use the Sublimation Steel from ID Plate.

The Sublimation Coating is white and I can Color Print on it.

Got some 24 x 24 inch for my projects but I bet it can be had bigger.

The Sublimation is good because it locks into the white coating like on the side of a coffee cup and won't rub off.

That is a BIG board... I only have a 16 x 20 heat press.

AL