• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Vibrant Print Colors?

cardsin2005

I am just wondering if it is possable to print colors that look as vibrant as vinyl. Like Cardinal Red for example. I can't seem to print a red that doesn't look pink or dull. I have tried to adjust my color profiles as best as I can. I am not 100% sure on what I am doing with the profiles, it is more of a shot in the dark. I have been designing in RGB and that has helped, But I am just not quite satisfied with my color output. I have read a lot of post on this topic but most are a bit above my comprehension.:doh: Any help would be amazing.:thankyou:

My Printer
Mimaki JV-33 160

Freese

I am just wondering if it is possable to print colors that look as vibrant as vinyl. Like Cardinal Red for example. I can't seem to print a red that doesn't look pink or dull. I have tried to adjust my color profiles as best as I can. I am not 100% sure on what I am doing with the profiles, it is more of a shot in the dark. I have been designing in RGB and that has helped, But I am just not quite satisfied with my color output. I have read a lot of post on this topic but most are a bit above my comprehension.:doh: Any help would be amazing.:thankyou:

My Printer
Mimaki JV-33 160

Cardinal Red is the best color there is.

Although the Albert situation has me seeing more blue lately.

What material are you printing on?

daveb

General Know-it-all
We've found color output has more to do with your rip and/output program. If you're using the Rastlink that came with the printer we're had much better luck printing out of Illustrator or PS. Wasatch, who writes Rasterlink for Mimaki uses a PS color engine or is based off Adobe as I understand it.:rolleyes:

cardsin2005

just an FYI, you always want your Lam to have a greater life than your vinyl.

Our laminate does have a longer lifespan then our vinyl. I am still struggling with the color and profiles. From what I have read, I need to make my own profiles, but I don't know how to go about doing that.

SightLine

║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█
I know FlexiSign has a profiling built in. You just need an Eye One or another supported colorimeter. If your RIP has profile creation built in you need to find out what colorimeters are supported. Not sure what the options are for standalone software that can create profiles compatable with wide format RIP's.

I know one thing though - we create our own and the difference is pretty huge versus using prepackaged profiles.

heyskull

I will answer this with a big NO... you cannot get as vibrant colours with your printer as standard vinyl.
You can come pretty close but it is just not there.

SC

artbot

i wish the solvent ink makers would introduce red and blue ink like in the z3100. most of the outdoor printers have lm lc which is useless. red and blue would really be a giant color step foreward. those are the hardest colors to nail accurately.

Custom_Grafx

It would also be nice to have a good orange.

I've heard there are some profiling packages that can handle up to 12 colour? I think there's a canon or epson proofer that has 12 colours.

costs a fortune for the profiling software for 12 colour i imagine.

ProWraps

mixing pink and yellow to get red will never get you a true vibrant red. its pink and yellow. welcome to the world of CMYK printing.

color theory goes a long way in understanding what your printer does and why you get the results you do.

the old primary color system you were taught in grade school rings true.

yellow and blue make green.

red and yellow make orange.

etc.etc.

problem is, you dont have a primary color printer. its blue, pink, yellow and black. what you get is the result of those colors mixing in variable dot patterns.