• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Viewing PSD thumbnails in Explorer

njsigns

I just thought I'd share this with you guys. I got sick of looking at the Photoshop icons in my Windows folders so I sought out a way to view thumbnails right in the folders. Here it is:

http://board.iexbeta.com/index.php?showtopic=59007

I already did it and it works flawlessly, no viruses or spyware. Just follow the instructions in the Read Me file. Pretty easy, and it's nice to view thumbnails right in the folders where they reside without having to use Adobe Bridge, which I personally found to be a PITA.

Gene

gvgraphics

I use that and it works great. Very simple install. Copy one file and run a reg edit file. Takes 3 seconds to do.

Ian Stewart-Koster

Older Greyer Brushie
Thanks!

(actualy I use an old version of AcDsee- and it's great- I prefer that to win explorer for image viewing- it will show psd files & some eps ones.)

Bob Gilliland

Just a heads up for anyone using CS3 based programs, a little more work is required then the solution provided above. Adobe, trying to encourage everyone to use Bridge, has set Illustrator CS3, by default, to check that thumbnail support from within Explorer is disabled AT EVERY LAUNCH. I became discouraged that the traditional work around stopped working with the publicly released CS3 programs (non beta). After a few weeks of experimenting and researching, I stumbled across a solution offered by William Park from Newtownstewart, Ireland. On all machines that have been tweaked (internally and client machines as well) this solution has yet to fail.

In addition to the psicon.dll and aiicon.dll files and the registry tweaks that have worked in the past, further key modifications need to be made in the Advanced Security Settings and Permission Entry for InProcServer32. William offers a pdf based file for download that reviews the entire process step-by-step. Others probably have found the solution as well; however, I give William credit for the solution I utilize.

Adobe worked on Bridge for CS3 and it is much more robust; less of a memory hog and much more responsive when compared to its predecessor. It still has some shortcomings, like many programs, however, can be an asset if embraced and learned.

Bob Gilliland

Experiencing the same issue, lack of thumbnails within Windows OS dialogs, etc. with CS4 installed but was able to use the same modifications/tweaks as done for CS3. Just wanted to reply as an update for anyone that stumbles across this looking for a solution. Been meaning to post this since Beta/release of CS4, sorry!

Ian Stewart-Koster

Older Greyer Brushie
Thanks, Bob- but I can't get that myweb/tiscale pdf link to work.(404 error)
Did you happen to save it at all & would you be able to email it to me at all?

SignsOfMaine

I wanted to second ACDSEE as a nice alternate way to get the same effect, it's a kickass image viewer, and a nice way to do instant bmp->jpg conversion without waiting for photosheezey to load.

Ian Stewart-Koster

Older Greyer Brushie
ACDsee will do eps previews, but not AI.

I like it for its speed & ease of use.

Bridge had good intentions in mind, but I find it a pain to use, and slow did I say slow, I means S L OOO W. It does however, preview everything, but most of the time I won't use it, unless looking at a catalogue of vector files in ai format.

I don't like its folder/explorer interface, either.

I guess old habits die hard & I'm used to windows explorer & things that look like that.

P.S.
I did find the file, & instructions, Bob.

Bob Gilliland

Ian,

Glad you found the file. I never checked to ensure the link was still a valid one.

For others, I have uploaded the pdf file that has the instructions/tweaks needed. Few things to remember please; First, the document originated from William Park from Newtownstewart, Ireland. I do not claim any authorship and have placed it here as an aid only since the link further above appears to no longer be valid. Second, this is the pdf file only and does not include the referenced .dll files (needed) nor the .reg files (make the process easier to complete).

Attachments

• readme.pdf
    358.9 KB · Views: 174