• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

vinyl and vehicle rivets

newyork

Can anyone tell me any tricks or concerns I may have or need to know when encounting rivets on the side of a trailer. I'm going to do some basic lettering and graphic applications to a trailer and I will have to deal with a bunch of rivets. I'm just using vinyl and I'm guessing I can basically just apply the vinyl over the rivets then go back and rotate my squeeze around each rivet head to make it more contour. Is that right or do I need to watch out for anything any and all advice is welcome. Thanks

BigfishDM

Merchant Member
Go around 3/4 of the rivet, then poke a tiny hole in the bottom and squeeze out any air pocket. Keep your heat gun handy as it will speed up the process. A credit card type squeege will help alot or just a plain credit card. Good luck and take some pictures

BigfishDM

Merchant Member
No one here really likes to help out as much as they like ripping on people who dont appear as smart as them. NOT everyone just most of them

ABPGraphics

does anyone ever take the rivets out? I think it has its benefits if you are just doing vinyl lettering and not a wrap

Sign Depot

Are you sure they are rivets? Most trailer that we letter have square drive sheet metal screws. We remove them, apply the graphics and then put the screws back through the vinyl.

Mosh

Yeah, most inclosed trailers (not semi trailers) are screws. Simply take out the ones in the way, apply film, and screw back in (slowly)

Border

Are you sure they are rivets? Most trailer that we letter have square drive sheet metal screws. We remove them, apply the graphics and then put the screws back through the vinyl.

Even it that is the case for this trailer..... you still need to build skills for installing over rivets with confidence. The sooner, the better.

newyork

Thanks all but I've been a sign maker and installer for four years and I think I need to tackle this head on. I watched it being done once and I've applied allot vinyl so I'll take all your advice and I'll also get that video but time doesn't allow it. Live and learn thanks

Mosh

Squeegie over like the rivet is not there. Then go back and work it down. I poke some holes around the rivet and work it down with my fingernail. The key is the pretending the rivets are not there until you get the peice down. Heat gun will help when going back around the rivets. Are you using an air release film, this will make it easier, especialy if you have never done it.

MAKE JUST THEY ARE NOT SCREWS!!!!! Take them out if they are!

ProWraps

do not take the screws out. treat them like rivets. you will compromise the design, void warranties, create possible leaks, and potentially strip one or more. do the job right.

jay*doc

There are tools like the 3M Magic Pad that will allow you to poke a hole, heat up the vinyl, and press the pad over the vinyl to conform it to the rivet. Thats my preferred method for cut vinyl lettering.

Running the squeegee around it is OK, but the letters don't always fall in a spot where that works for me. IMO it stays down longer and more uniform with the Magic Pad too.

jay*doc

Rolle Pro is awesome, fastest way to do rivets, hands down. BUT, for wraps, never tried it on cut vinyl. I guess it could work just like a magic pad for single rivets and as intended for lines of rivets. Mosh, you could be on to something..