• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Vinyl awning with seam in the way

Johnny Best

OK if most of you worked for me I would have let most of you go. Sent out to letter an awning and ya'll come back with excuses. You wasted my time to pay you for nothing accomplished. "To wrinkily, got a seam on it, need to mask it, put a piece of ACM on it.
Either lace it back tight or use some clamps to pull it tight on the frame. Finished. You people act like you need it just right or you move on.

Attachments

• clamps.jpg
    clamps.jpg
    63.3 KB · Views: 69

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Nah, it'd be YOUR fault, for not telling the customer up front to fix his/her d@mned awning in the first place when ya met with them to discuss things. No way, if someone sent me out to letter an awning and see that frickin' mess..... than expect me to fix someone else's mistakes and crapolla. It's brand new. One doesn't go around tinkering around with someone else's brand new property. Next, they'll blame me for something and void their warranty. It's either ready to go or we go home. Ain't touching that hornets nest.

Notarealsignguy

Arial - it's almost helvetica
OK if most of you worked for me I would have let most of you go. Sent out to letter an awning and ya'll come back with excuses. You wasted my time to pay you for nothing accomplished. "To wrinkily, got a seam on it, need to mask it, put a piece of ACM on it.
Either lace it back tight or use some clamps to pull it tight on the frame. Finished. You people act like you need it just right or you move on.
Hey boss, it was a little chilly out and I forgot my jacket so I took the awning off and brought it back to the shop to do it in the heat. It's in the back of the van, I'm going to lunch now. Oh, before I forget, you need to buy new lacing, I cut it all off to get it down. And a new utility knife, I think I left it on the sidewalk, after lunch I can go back and check if you want?

petepaz

Nah, it'd be YOUR fault, for not telling the customer up front to fix his/her d@mned awning in the first place when ya met with them to discuss things. No way, if someone sent me out to letter an awning and see that frickin' mess..... than expect me to fix someone else's mistakes and crapolla. It's brand new. One doesn't go around tinkering around with someone else's brand new property. Next, they'll blame me for something and void their warranty. It's either ready to go or we go home. Ain't touching that hornets nest.
no different if you go to letter a truck and it has dents or rust, would you install lettering over dents and rust. (and it has happened) if you do it as is make sure you get in writing that you aren't warranting the work and will not be responsible for any warranty the original awning place gave you if they void your warranty

Johnny Best

You guys all think like lawyers, with warranty talk, put things in writing, and Gino since your back early because you did not letter the awning, how about cleaning up that mess you left in the bathroom this morning and your final check for work is on the sink counter.

Boudica

Back to "educational purposes"
You guys all think like lawyers, with warranty talk, put things in writing, and Gino since your back early because you did not letter the awning, how about cleaning up that mess you left in the bathroom this morning and your final check for work is on the sink counter.
I wonder what the world would be like, if Gino was a lawyer......

Boudica

Back to "educational purposes"
The seam is unsightly. The canopy installation is crappy. I see three options:
1. Work with what you've got, and live with a mediocre outcome.
2. Get them to have the awning redone properly, then you can do your job properly.
3. Walk away from the endeavor, and experience, and making a bad situation better. And the opportunity to be a local hero in your field.

Consider option 2, or if you're really creative and talented consider option 1.

Last edited:

Gino

Premium Subscriber
I just took all my awnings down around the house yesterday. No problem doing what I know, but those 'unknowns' are for the birds/hacks.

Oh, and that wasn't my mess. I saw derby doing that after trying to eat his burritos.