• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Vinyl awning with seam in the way

gnubler

Customer had a new vinyl awning made and it ended up with a seam running across right in front - see image. They didn't realize it until it was up and installed. She wants lettering running across the front, but I'm not excited about laying it over that seam. Put together a mockup with the lettering above the seam...letters not tall enough and she didn't like it not vertically centered. Any ideas other than having the awning redone?

20221115_151023.jpg

Gino

Premium Subscriber
First, the execution of that awning is p!ss -poor. I'd tell your customer to tell them to do it over and do it correct, this time. There are far too many wrinkles and that seem should never have been there. They musta opted to have some schmuck make the awning and this is what they got. Regardless, if they already paid for it, tell them to sue the company for a replacement industry standard awning. Once you have any lettering on that, the wind is gonna beat that atrocity up and knock the lettering off, unless ya paint it on.

Cripes, look how tight the green one is. Tell them that's what they should've gotten.

petepaz

First, the execution of that awning is p!ss -poor. I'd tell your customer to tell them to do it over and do it correct, this time. There are far too many wrinkles and that seem should never have been there. They musta opted to have some schmuck make the awning and this is what they got. Regardless, if they already paid for it, tell them to sue the company for a replacement industry standard awning. Once you have any lettering on that, the wind is gonna beat that atrocity up and knock the lettering off, unless ya paint it on.

Cripes, look how tight the green one is. Tell them that's what they should've gotten.
awnings aren't in our wheel house but i was going to say what gino said just from an observation point of view, that green awning is tight. the more slack you have the more issues you will have down the road with wind and weather ripping it apart. what i am interested to know is what/how are you putting letters on there? what material? what process? i normally don't put lettering on existing awnings because it usually doesn't hold up well, in my experience but i did have one customer who was adamite about it and i did it but told him i wouldn't guarantee/warranty it. what he did do is he got some special paint supposedly for awnings and put like 3 coats and it became like a hard shell i used a high tack vinyl to cut his lettering and it's been up for like 3 or 4 yrs with no issue

gnubler

Yeah, the customer is disappointed with it, both with the fit and the seam. They had it done in a rush to replace an old awning that looked like garbage. I told them they'd have to take it down so I can do the lettering at my shop, too cold now for outdoor installs. I haven't done any awnings before, but it's heavy duty green vinyl (like banner material) and I was going to do their logo/lettering in white cast cut vinyl. I'm just afraid that seam is going to cause problems down the road.

Z SIGNS

If it were me after I took one look at that I would just shake my head while saying under my breath "what a piece of s**t"
Unless they are up to a new nice awning. I'd would run the other way and focus my efforts on projects that make sense.
Trying to come up with a solution is a waste of time.

And oh yeah
That's the most brutal fab job I've seen in long time. Jeez they couldn't put the seam on the top. Looks like they were drinkin when they made it.

Johnny Best

That’s just a heat seal seam and should not cause a problem! It was not laced on tight enough and that’s why the wrinkles. Someone at the awning company did a bad job on wrapping that under and lacing it tight. Tell them to send out a professional, awning people are more stupid than sign installers. Don’t make a problem of everything.

visual800

what happened here is they either tacked on some more awning material because itt was cut too short and heat seamed it OR they were working with scraps. I would not letter a damn thing on it UNTIL they had it redone. Its is not even tight on the frame, horrible job

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Heat seam or not, there are so many puckers and wrinkles, nothing will ever stay on that properly. Like mentioned, either walk away or tell them not to do anything. Just let it be...... let it be...... let it be, let it be. Those the words of......... ??

Yeah, the customer is disappointed with it, both with the fit and the seam. They had it done in a rush to replace an old awning that looked like garbage. I told them they'd have to take it down so I can do the lettering at my shop, too cold now for outdoor installs. I haven't done any awnings before, but it's heavy duty green vinyl (like banner material) and I was going to do their logo/lettering in white cast cut vinyl. I'm just afraid that seam is going to cause problems down the road.
Cast vinyl is probably your best option, but the seam will likely be a fail point down the road. I would do it that way and just inform the customer of the potential issues and let them know you can't guarantee it.

Gino

Premium Subscriber

I would not letter that mess, as I have said, but if you must do it, do not take it down. It will have it's most tautness while up on the frame. Ya just clip a board to the backside and letter away. Been there/done that many many times. If they pay someone to take it down, they should keep it the fug down and have a new one made.

Johnny Best

I'll tell you what happened. They, awning company made it to have valence hanging down and then someone wanted a bigger area to put a sign so they extended it with matching material and added more pipe to make a wrap around front. You can take wrinkles out by tightening rope on backside. It's like a lock stitch as you go around the bottom. But that might be out of your wheelhouse. Clean vinyl and use cast vinyl on front.

Attachments

• awning back.jpg
    awning back.jpg
    18.9 KB · Views: 171
  • awning front.jpg
    awning front.jpg
    53.4 KB · Views: 167

Scotchbrite

No comment
I wouldn't touch it. That said, if you're going to attempt it, you should figure in some time to try and get rid of those wrinklesin your shop before lettering it.