• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Need Help Vinyl printing

cab.ceramics

Hi, I’m new to this printing game, I purchased a hp designjet 5500 uv printer it was advertised as vinyl and canvas printing.
I’m able to print onto canvas ok but when using vinyl the inks just run on the vinyl and don’t dry, I was advised to use ritrama ri-jet or poli jet vinyl the vinyl I used was poli jet digital. Can anyone advise what may be the problem.
Thanks Carl.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Not sure, but isn't that an aqueous printer, using pigmented or dye based inks ?? If so, you need to use coated media. Not very good for anything outside for very long.

cmhaynes6

Super Psychedelic Mojo Master
Gino is correct, you need to use a vinyl coated to accept aqueous inks, specifically 5500 inks. I have seen SAV coated for the HP z series not work with 5500 ink.

dale911

President
If you were getting this printer to be able to run outdoor things, you kinda got hosed. I have two of these printers and they do a fantastic job in what they are designed for but I seldom do that stuff anymore so they are both on a pallet in the warehouse awaiting me to have time to post them for sale.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tony McD

I had one years ago, and this printer isn't really for outdoor use.
You do have to buy special coated vinyl.
The best I ever got was using the 3m coated vinyl and laminating the prints so there's about
a quarter inch extra laminate to seal the print to the surface. (encapsulated)
If you don't do this, moisture gets into the edges and the print will fail.
The material is pricey which makes it hard to compete with prints from other printers.