• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Vinyl Roll Storage

AGinVT

We are expanding to a new space next to our current shop and I am looking for ideas for vinyl and laminate roll storage. We probably have close to 100 rolls ranging from 15" to 63" and I am hoping to set up this new space differently than our old space. Our old space has floor racks. Effective, but takes up a ton of floor space.

Has anyone ever used a horizontal wall rack system like the one attached? Seems like a good way to limit storage space, but not sure if someone knows of anyone who sells something like this or has built it themselves? I'm sure we can figure it out, but thought I'd tap in to the super knowledge base on 101 first. Thank you.

Attachments

• Image 6-14-21 at 7.05 PM.jpg
    Image 6-14-21 at 7.05 PM.jpg
    45.1 KB · Views: 2,122

ikarasu

I feel like you need to be a giant to reach those top rolls... That's roughly 50 lbs and way above my head. We use a system similarly to the one on the right. You take up 5 ft of floor space... But you can stack 20ish rolls high for every 6" x 5 ft space. All the bareilly used ones good near the floor or head height while the most used go in the perfect - non back breaking sliding positions.

Boudica

Back to "educational purposes"
We have a few of these
1623795211006.png

and a smaller wall rack for short rolls of colored vinyl.

Stacey K

I like making signs
I have shelves under my work bench and store them horizontally. They get dusty but some of them I put in plastic bags 12"x24" clear.

jfiscus

Rap Master
We store our 30"+ print/laminates along the walls on the plastic end caps; laminates near laminator, print media near printers. We store the 15" vinyl for the Edge on a rolling rack near those printers.
We do use the wire frame rolling racks to store the 60" 2080 materials on.

Attachments

• 199995374_256669472886651_6071918512884921086_n.jpg
    199995374_256669472886651_6071918512884921086_n.jpg
    111.4 KB · Views: 778
  • 194975645_1410521395992572_7403710227192803834_n.jpg
    194975645_1410521395992572_7403710227192803834_n.jpg
    92.6 KB · Views: 575

FireSprint.com

Trade Only Screen & Digital Sign Printing
We bought one of these systems at the SGIA show several years back. Love the system, but it's very hard to find here in the states. You take the rolls right on and off, no need to pull a 60" rod out of the middle of it. And NO, we have never had one break. You would think they would, but they are very sturdy.

20210618_172317.jpg
20210618_172339.jpg

PortlandPrint

I made our own that are similar to the yellow tool ones. 1 piece of 2x2’ 3/4” plywood. 4 harbor freight casters and then I made our posts from 2x3” studs. I think about 6” long. We fit 9 rolls and can slide the whole thing out of the way or spin it to get to a back roll. I made 2 and need to make a 3rd. We only store 30” at the most though. Works better than the plastic ends that the media comes on.

AGinVT

We store our 30"+ print/laminates along the walls on the plastic end caps; laminates near laminator, print media near printers. We store the 15" vinyl for the Edge on a rolling rack near those printers.
We do use the wire frame rolling racks to store the 60" 2080 materials on.
Very nice setup

AGinVT

We bought one of these systems at the SGIA show several years back. Love the system, but it's very hard to find here in the states. You take the rolls right on and off, no need to pull a 60" rod out of the middle of it. And NO, we have never had one break. You would think they would, but they are very sturdy.

View attachment 154129 View attachment 154128
That is a VERY cool system.

AGinVT

Thank you all for your responses. We already have (7) of these 16 roll floor racks. They work well, but we have about (25) stray rolls standing domino style and they do tumble. Trying to save floor space, thus wanting the wall racks. The dust thing makes a ton of sense. Would need a good solution for that, so we don't have to bag the rolls.

Attachments

• Image 6-30-21 at 10.14 PM.jpg
    Image 6-30-21 at 10.14 PM.jpg
    72.2 KB · Views: 464

SignMeUpGraphics

Super Active Member
We also have the bent wire type you posted a photo of... and we have zero rolls on them because they are utter garbage. Yes, vinyl will domino when it's bumped. The YelloTools ones are 1000x better as the center piece of wood goes further into the roll and isn't tapered like the wire ones are.

SanQ

Spur rails on the wall for the 61cm rolls, bigger rols on Yellotools.

Attachments

• 5f68c550-9138-48ab-919a-4a0cbdadb6e2.jpg
    5f68c550-9138-48ab-919a-4a0cbdadb6e2.jpg
    226.1 KB · Views: 640
Last edited:

WhiskeyDreamer

Professional Snow Ninja
I've done storage so many different ways. Currently, I have some of the wall racks that I put my 15" rolls on as well as my 24" rolls that are being held for a current project. I also have one rack that's dedicated to my heat transfer material. Then I have a counted that the Edge and 15" plotter sit on and there are two horizontal storage areas under that. Both of these are shown in the attached (ignore the clutter that is my current work space).
IMG_3617.jpg
IMG_3618.jpg

Then in the far back end of my shop area, I have an old counter (built circa 1989) that served as the original welcoming counter and the entire bottom of that is horizontal storage for 15" rolls and the spots are even labeled for the colors.

We also had a 4' x 24' drawing board that had horizontal shelves mounted on the wall behind it. It was built with enough walking space to make it feasible for vinyl storage behind and box storage above. Also, if you have a particularly evil coworker, while you were behind the board, they would slap a 3ft rule against the board and it would echo in your ears for awhile. Not that I ever did that.

bowtievega

Premium Subscriber
Here is pic of the type of carts we have made for our print shop area. I like being able to roll the carts around where ever you need them and then push them in a corner for more room lol. We do alot of aluminum fab so using some drops from jobs is easy. Put on some good casters and these things will last forever.

Attachments

• media cart.jpg
    media cart.jpg
    624.7 KB · Views: 666

Nick Kraushaar

I have a quick question, if its not too much trouble. Also please be gentle with me, I am just curious lol. My current work space has dozens or 48 inch to 60 inch vinyl rolls and laminate rolls on 3 inch cores. We stand them on end with the black plastic end caps. Sometimes we end up with dominos lol. Now, my question is this. My coworker who has been in the sign industry for 20 plus years absolutely insists that we are not going to use any type of wrack system that stores our material horizontally because it will cause the rolls to oval, and then we wont be able to get them on the machines. Will the weight of the rolls really affect the core that much? Has anyone else ever had an issue storing larger media horizontally? He also says that if we put like a poll through the core on a shelf type system, it will leave flat spots. Is this true as well? Please let me know when you can. Thank you.

Notarealsignguy

Arial - it's almost helvetica
I have a quick question, if its not too much trouble. Also please be gentle with me, I am just curious lol. My current work space has dozens or 48 inch to 60 inch vinyl rolls and laminate rolls on 3 inch cores. We stand them on end with the black plastic end caps. Sometimes we end up with dominos lol. Now, my question is this. My coworker who has been in the sign industry for 20 plus years absolutely insists that we are not going to use any type of wrack system that stores our material horizontally because it will cause the rolls to oval, and then we wont be able to get them on the machines. Will the weight of the rolls really affect the core that much? Has anyone else ever had an issue storing larger media horizontally? He also says that if we put like a poll through the core on a shelf type system, it will leave flat spots. Is this true as well? Please let me know when you can. Thank you.
Someone on here posted a picture where they took the plastic end caps and screwed a group of them into plywood. That should solve the domino problem

FireSprint.com

Trade Only Screen & Digital Sign Printing
The manufacturer's store their vinyl on it's side. It really has to sit for a very long time before it will oval. I get sitting on material for a year or two if it's colored cut vinyl. Some colors move slow. But printed media sitting on a rack long enough to start to oval just needs to be thrown out. Consolidate to fewer medias and you don't have to worry so much about flat spots and you'll make more $$ too.

FireSprint is a Trade Only Screen & Digital Printer. Join our nationwide network of resellers today!

Last edited: