• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Vinyl Roll Storage

jfiscus

Rap Master
It was me with the end caps screwed into plywood boxes. Never had any (domino) issue with them this way at our old shops or here either. It allows you to store and label a lot of materials easily.

WB

I've been doing this for 20 yrs.. I've had racks on walls, racks on the floor, racks on wheels, racks that hold rolls horizontal bolted to the wall or on wheels or under tables.
Best thing I've ever done is build dividers attached to the wall, SO if the domino thing ever happened it was 6 rolls not 30 or 40. Even now, new shop rolls all on end on the plastic end caps and that's it.. Guess I don't learn?

Michael-Nola

I print things. It is very exciting.
I can confirm rolls certainly WILL oval if you use skinny pipe. Dense rolls on thin cores warp the worst (like styrene), but 150'+ rolls will all do it to a varying degree.
If you're stocking short/light cut vinyl rolls like a bunch of colors under 50' linear, then they won't warp. Not enough weight.

I have no idea why these companies sell a 1" pipe storage design for a 3" core. 1" does not equal 3"!
I cut my own racks, same design, but with rod notches for 3" pipe. Bought a bunch of junk 3" steel pipe and cut to size.
Tadaaa 3" cores stored on 3" pipe :) All out of the way and off the floor. No warping.

We've tried several storage systems over the years and the best way we have found is:

1) Pallet Racking for bulk storage of media (we tend to order pallets of popular vinyl such as 3M 40C and 3M SV480mc). Or even just two or three rolls of a specific product.
2) When not using popular media store it in it's box back on the pallet racking
3) Some media's we print rolls of almost daily, so we keep close the printers on these carts:

https://stock-and-roll.com/en/products/stock-and-roll-6-bobines

The reason we like these the best are they store 6 rolls of media without the possibility of toppling over if you bump them, they roll easily but can be locked to not roll, and they are circular so you never media stuck in the "middle" of other media like you will have with the mobile vinyl racks that were referenced earlier (if you have large rolls you need to access stored in the middle of the cart, it's a huge pain in the ass).

If you wanted to do something more stationary like jfiscus posted earlier with the rolls of media along the wall, I'd recommend the podium from Stock & Roll - as it provides the same concept but makes it easier to access media stored behind other medias.

https://stock-and-roll.com/en/collections/podium

While the product is expensive, the pricing typically includes (or at least it has when I ordered them before) shipping from France. If you contact support Marie will probably respond and mention Matthew from DSGI made the recommendations and she can help you find the right product (or products we've ordered before).

Full Disclosure - I don't get anything from Stock and Roll, I have no affiliation with them and I have paid full price for everything I have ordered, I'm just a happy customer.