• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Vinyl Sign - Heat Protection

messiah023

I have a customer asking about "heat protection" for his signage.
We make him standard green 24x36 signs with cut vinyl overlay.

The new request is for a community grilling area and the sign will be very close to the open grills and exposed to direct heating.
He is worried the vinyl will shrivel and come off easily.

Is there a protection method for this or an alternative production method (ie. screen printing) that would solve this issue?
I would like to avoid screening if possible.

Thank you in advance.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Welcome from PA........................................................................

messiah023

Thanks......my thoughts exactly.
They will be putting this in the pit area as it is a requirement for their condo....
This is a timeshare location and everything must be labeled appropriately or mr. lawsuit will come.

I was thinking about possibly using liquid laminate over the vinyl, but I have never used it and I don't know about the flammability of it.

welcome from cali :thumb:

my first thought is...dont put it so dang close to fire!

:thumb:

Gino

Premium Subscriber
If the sign is so close to a source of heat, that the heat may ruin, melt or in any way damage the vinyl, what are you putting this sign on ?? Whatever it is, that much heat to do damage the vinyl is gonna make one hot poker of a sign and probably do more damage to someone than having a ruined sign.

You have to be careful of what substrates and materials you put close to fire or high heat sources, or you could end up creating fumes or other toxic airborne problems and you'll be fully the blame. Even screen ink can be a problem up that close.

CanuckSigns

does the design need to be full colour?

if just a few colours, why not use aluminum and spray the letters with something like high heat engine paint?

MR. Graphics

have you been to the area, turned on a grill to see where all the heat fuss is about? May not be as much heat as they anticipate.