• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Vinyl Stencil Window Painting.

Jwalk

I use vinyl mac tac for window painting.

I have used aura benjamin moore, and one shot. Both paints will peel up with the stencil, most of the time I put more than one coat and do not peel it wet.

On the more complicated stencils one where I can't peel away from the letter I have to use an exacto and literally cut out the letter from the stencil, before I peel off the stencil.

Looking for different approaches and or ideas. Thank you.

Billct2

Yes, try real paint mask and try to get it in one coat of oil based enamel and peel while tacky

Jwalk

Sorry I meant paint mask vinyl.
I dont see much difference in 5yr vs paint mask in the peeling/stencil aspect, big diff in tackiness from the glue but that's it.

Yeah I figured thats the answers I'd get. You know theres an art in cutting it out I use one of the artist style exacto's. Oh well.

visual800

for paint stencils we use cheap vinyl as it costs less than stencil vinyl. Also keep in mind before you paint the actual stencil take exacto and cut a line between each letter so you can rip off just that one letter at a time if need be

ALWAYS peel it wet especially with latex and use foam rollers, foam rollers lay on a good level coat.

May I ask what you are painting on these windows

OldPaint

ONLY WAY FOR PAINT NOT TO PEEL when removing mask...........YOU WILL NEED TO TAKE EXACTO to all edges where the paint meets the mask.
1. GLASS IS A NON-POROUS SURFACE.......
2. THE VINYL IS MORE POROUS then the glass.......
3. pulling the vinyl...........WITHOUT CUTTING THE PAINT........WILL PEEL THE PAINT OFF THE GLASS.

Billct2

ONLY WAY FOR PAINT NOT TO PEEL when removing mask...........YOU WILL NEED TO TAKE EXACTO to all edges where the paint meets the mask.
...unless you peel it while it's still wet, which is what everyone has suggested.

Jwalk

Yeah I know believe me cutting big time.

what im putting on the window is like this but a different store front.
A Nerd’s World

I wish the vinyl stencil worked like frog tape or blue tape. On windows I find the good painters tape works good.

I use the normal vinyl for most of my stencils but some I use the paint mask mac tac. I use paint mask for drywall and window type thing.

Ill check out the Gerber mask

Jwalk

Yeah thats what I do reverse stencil, paint mask, when you have to cut it out its almost like painting the outline.

Johnny Best

So on the word "world" on the glass, you mask out that thin inline, let it dry then paint orange, let that dry, then the dark maroon dropshade, letting each color dry before the next color is applied.
I agree with visual800 on this one. Use vinyl and or reverse print it on clear and make it double sided.

Johnny Best

Well, I have to hand it to you, they look great and good luck finding the solution to your problem.
I agree with others, Gerber mask and foam roller, and peel off while tacky using your exacto blade to get it started.

Signsfyi

When I have painted on glass using a stencil, I scrub the area of the glass with Bonami. Then do a final wipe with rubbing alcohol. Roll with a foam brush and I prefer to pull the stencil while the paint is wet.
However, in this day and age, I would either do printed on clear vinyl in reverse or do layers of cut vinyl. Sample looks great! Good luck.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Okay, so you don't do murals the traditional way, you use stencils. The way that's set up you only need two friskets. Paint on the inline and use a brush, not a roller. That's why you need two and three coats. When you're finished with the inline, peel it back and wait for it to dry. Now paint in the orange, peel it and let it dry. Now, go back and use scotch tape for your shadows and freehand for the curve parts.

For the white stuff, paint it in and pull it off as soon as you're finished and let dry. Now, paint i your outline and peel off when done.

Now, it's up to you, but back paint everything with one solid uniform color so your yuxes don't show up from the inside or put a full vinyl cover on the inside of the window.

You've been flaunting your wares around here long enough, that you should be able to do this freehand, but if not, you should at least be able to fill in the simple parts by hand.

The two windows and door you have shown would take maybe 2 days, mostly because of dry time.

Instead of double coating..... don't take the paint directly out of the can and put it on the window. Use some other colors that will stiffen your colors so it will cover in 1-Shot as the name implies. Again, don't do this with rollers, you can't get good coverage unless you slop it on.