• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Vinyl to use for stickers like at StickerMule?

gpo

Hey everyone!

My first time posting here so please be easy on me. LOL =)

We just purchased a Roland VersaCamm vs300i and are interested in offering just regular type stickers that you'd find produced by companies like Sticker Mule at www.stickermule.com

We are completely new to the world of sign making and this sort of stuff and are unsure on what the best material would be to use on these types of items.

We don't intend to laminate these at all. Is that a bad idea?

kcollinsdesign

Old member
You will save both time and money ordering stickers from Sticker Mule. Save your printer for custom one-off work like signs, displays, vehicles, etc.

If you are new at this, I have to caution you about using copyrighted art. Unless you have express, written permission from the copyright holder, it is illegal to print their designs (beer logos, motorcycle companies, sports teams, etc.).

For cheap, throw-away stickers there is no need to laminate. Sticker Mule laminates their stickers. Anything you plan on selling should be laminated.

gpo

Hi,

I'm an artist and create all of our own custom artwork for schools, businesses etc.

Would you have a recommendation on the vinyl to use for the type of stickers we want to do for schools etc?

gpo

Just a standard type of sticker...not a decal to put on a vehicle or window, but a standard type of sticker you'd peel off and stick onto things like notebooks etc
I don't know how to describe it in technical terms lol...just an old school sticker

gpo

Ok thanks!
I am confused though....in this industry, are the terms sticker and decal interchangeable? I thought those were two totally different types of items.
We have been in the screenprinting and embroidery business since 1980 so this side of the print industry is totally new to us.

unclebun

We use the term decal for self adhesive labels, printed or not, die or contour cut or not. It does not refer to the old water-release labels we used to put on model cars.

If the decals (stickers) are just going to be stuck on notebooks et al and are not meant for signage or any official purpose like parking permits, use an inexpensive calendared vinyl with a removable adhesive. You will not need air release vinyl.

• Agree
Reactions: gpo

equippaint

Ok thanks!
I am confused though....in this industry, are the terms sticker and decal interchangeable? I thought those were two totally different types of items.
We have been in the screenprinting and embroidery business since 1980 so this side of the print industry is totally new to us.
It really comes down to one thing, do you drink your tea with your pinky in or pinky out? Some of the pinky out crowd will chastise you for using the word sticker here. That is the main difference and Im sure that the dictionary will concur.

Billct2

General stickers are what the teacher gives you if you did good....sticky back printed on "paper".
decals are vinyl and more permament

• Agree
Reactions: gpo

CanuckSigns

We use the 6mil sem-ridit vinyl from general formulations GF 221, it's nice and thick so it's easy for the client to apply without laminate, it prints well and it's priced pretty well. it's only available in matte finish though.

Beau Barcus

We print 1,000's of promo stickers a week and use Orajet 3164 4mm calendared vinyl, no laminate. Works good and ends up being only about $0.17/sqft

netsol

can someone suggest a source for 24" or larger (roll) psa paper stock for "stickers"
doing some short run for a good client, vinyl seem like a waste, he just needs gloss or. matte paper