• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Virtus Tentamine Gaudet

James Burke

Being a grandpa is more fun than working
...Translated from the Latin, it means for "Strength Rejoices in the Challenge". It's located at the cross country track at Hillsdale College and was pulled from the fence row in the back of the field.

After completion, I found it to be a very fitting title for such a project.
It measures seven feet high by eight feet wide and tips the scale at approx. 16 tons.

The pocket for the "H" measures 24" square and is recessed in about 1/2" and has rock-pitched edges. It was was hand-cut with carbide chisels and diamond tooling. All lettering was sandblast engraved.

Jim

Attachments

• Virtus Forums.jpg
    Virtus Forums.jpg
    90.1 KB · Views: 238

James Burke

Jim thats pretty sweet.
Got any pictures of the install?

Thanks for sharing.

It was already set when I was given a lineup on it. I'm not sure if the contractors took any photos when they dug it up.

I usually take "progress" photos on jobs, but this one had a tight deadline and I didn't stop to snap pics along the way.

Jim

Bill Modzel

Great job for a great college. Check them out, they will not accept ANY govt funding. Standing firm in the midst immense pressure.

James Burke

Great job for a great college. Check them out, they will not accept ANY govt funding. Standing firm in the midst immense pressure.

BIG ditto...hence many of the project$ we do for the College are to honor the donor$ who make $cholar$hip$ available to the $tudent$.

Our independence even goes so far as not to accept government student loans because that means the fed. can also control admission quotas, hiring quotas...and all the other restrictions they put on true freedom.

Jim