• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

wacom designing

3mpainter

Attachments

• IntuosSE_a_slot.jpg
    IntuosSE_a_slot.jpg
    81 KB · Views: 205

weaselboogie

They're really nice. I've used one, but don't own one. Tools are all still the same, but its more natural than using a mouse. Its a bit weird the first time you use it because unlike writing, you're looking at the screen rather than what you're writing on. Its on my wish list next time I have a couple of undesignated hundreds sitting around.

javila

You won't really see much use out of a tablet for working with vectors.

Well, apart from the drawing like a pen thing. Illustrator, for example, has very little pressure sensitive tools.

weaselboogie

I think for just as a replacement for a mouse, tablets just seemed more natural to me. I wouldn't say specifically it works just for the pen tool, its another means of navigation.

The Vector Doctor

Chief Bezier Manipulator
You won't really see much use out of a tablet for working with vectors.

Well, apart from the drawing like a pen thing. Illustrator, for example, has very little pressure sensitive tools.

Actually I do about 75% of my vector conversions using a Wacom tablet. Much easier to do cartoon like images, natural shapes like trees, bushes, etc. Much easier on the hand than clicking.

It does take some getting used to, but when you think about it, that's likely because we have all gotten so used to a mouse. The tablet is much more natural feeling especially when drawing. I don't use it when browsing websites, working with text based programs and general computer use, but it is my preference when drawing/tracing in Illustrator

Air Art Girl

I have a 9x12. Just learning how to use it and get comfortable. I am a lefty and am more natural with a pen in my left hand then a mouse in my right. It is weird looking somewhere other then where you are drawing. I have found it really easy when I have to edit a bunch of nodes. It seems to go faster. You can use the mouse right on top of the tablet instead of the pen too.

tommythesignguy

Isn't there a digitizer similar to this that actually writes on a pad and duplicates it on screen... now that would be the ticket! I'm still stuck with the old mouse - in fact I should be cleaning the ball instead of on here.

GK

I loved mine so much (after i got used to it...first few weeks it was baaaadddd lol) that I ended up getting one for each of the production stations and a Cintiq for the one I do the designing on. I could never go back to just a mouse because it would kill my workflow...but the Wacom packages come with a stylus and a mouse (that only works on the tablet but its extremely precise). Well worth the money. Let me know if you are interested in buying I can get discounts on this sorta stuff usually.

eforer

I loved mine so much (after i got used to it...first few weeks it was baaaadddd lol) that I ended up getting one for each of the production stations and a Cintiq for the one I do the designing on. I could never go back to just a mouse because it would kill my workflow...but the Wacom packages come with a stylus and a mouse (that only works on the tablet but its extremely precise). Well worth the money. Let me know if you are interested in buying I can get discounts on this sorta stuff usually.

I'm jealous, I want a cintiq like you read about! I've been using wacom tablets since 1999, and while I don't use it every day, there are some jobs that would be impossible without them. I have a 12"X12" which is sort of a dumb size, and I set it so I only use about half of it.

CenturySigns

Custom Sign Shop Designer
I use mine here at work all the time, with vectors and with Photoshop. It doesn't take long to get the hang of it. Wacom does make one that draws right on the tablet itself but it's like $2500.00 I think. I bought mine off of e-bay for a song you just have to know which one to look for.Some have nicer features. If I have work to do in PS like removing backgrounds or whatever I find the tablet to be more precise.

CL Graphics

I have been thinking about getting something like this. Is there a certain brand, model or size that I should look at. Also who sells these.

CenturySigns

Custom Sign Shop Designer
Lidy:
Wacom seems to be the most popular among designers. Just go to Wacom.com and you'll find what you need.

GK

I use mine here at work all the time, with vectors and with Photoshop. It doesn't take long to get the hang of it. Wacom does make one that draws right on the tablet itself but it's like $2500.00 I think. I bought mine off of e-bay for a song you just have to know which one to look for.Some have nicer features. If I have work to do in PS like removing backgrounds or whatever I find the tablet to be more precise.

The one you draw on directly to the screen is called the Cintiq 21UX, and its amazing. I was lucky to buy it at an introductory price of $1800 on the first 1,000 units they sold, now they jumped to $2,500 and I need another one...and half of the time they are out of stock. Not sure everyone here would get the full benefit of it for that kind of money, but I do a lot of photo-realistic drawings and 3D renders so it really gets used a ton everyday.

GK

depending on the monitor you are using. Wacom makes widescreen sizes specifically for that. 20" widescreen works perfect with the 9x12 model. 15"-17" laptops work real well with the 6x8" tablets. It also depends on how you draw too. The longer the brush strokes you take the wider the tablet you buy.

javila

Actually I do about 75% of my vector conversions using a Wacom tablet. Much easier to do cartoon like images, natural shapes like trees, bushes, etc. Much easier on the hand than clicking.

It does take some getting used to, but when you think about it, that's likely because we have all gotten so used to a mouse. The tablet is much more natural feeling especially when drawing. I don't use it when browsing websites, working with text based programs and general computer use, but it is my preference when drawing/tracing in Illustrator

That's what I meant with the "drawing like a pen" thing. :wink: