• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Wacom Tablet

zmatalucci

Please dont laugh!

I just fot a 9-12 wacom tablet, and am trying to do some illustration work.
What I'm really having a hard time doing, is getting a smooth flowing line. Now I know I can go back, and edit all the curves etc., but this is just extremely time consuming as there are thousands of nodes being created.
So, is there a way to create less nodes etc., or am I screwed?
The attached picture is just the initial layout,, very rough.

Attachments

• 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    82.9 KB · Views: 111

CenturySigns

Custom Sign Shop Designer
Hey Z
What software are you using? I use a tablet all the time and never get lines that look that rough. I'm in Corel 13.

The Vector Doctor

Chief Bezier Manipulator
Must be some setting you need to adjust. I use a Wacom tablet exclusively. That looks more like an autotrace from a very jaggy bmp file. If you use the pen tool (not pencil) that would not create so many points. The pencil tool in Illustrator could look like this if you did not adjust smoothness or you had severe hand shakes

GK

"or you had severe hand shakes"
Wifey is pregnant again, that could be the problem!

Zeth, What tool are you using in Illustrator? paintbrush? pen? have you set your application settings for Illustrator exclusively in the Wacom preferences to cater to the way you work?

SebastienL

Doesn't matter if your using the pencil or brush in Illustrator.
Double click on the icon in the tool panel, the preferences for that tool will pop-up. Adjust the fidelity and smoothness 'till you get just as you like it.
It takes a few trials to get just the way you like it.

GK

Doesn't matter if your using the pencil or brush in Illustrator.
Double click on the icon in the tool panel, the preferences for that tool will pop-up. Adjust the fidelity and smoothness 'till you get just as you like it.
It takes a few trials to get just the way you like it.

That was the point of asking. If he did not change the defaults and kept it how it is the fidelity for the paint brush is 4-4.5 while the pencil is only 2-2.5.

GK

Now does the image go on the tablet? And you trace over it? Or is it strictly on the screen? I want one now...

If you have an Intuos the tablet is just a board in front of you that you write on and the image is on your screen. If you are working on a Cintiq then the tablet has a screen that you directly work on (12wx model starts at $899-$1000 and the 21ux up to $2000)

Capital Signs

So is it worth the money to have it on the tablet? I would think it would be much easier to work with if the screen was on the tablet.

GK

So is it worth the money to have it on the tablet? I would think it would be much easier to work with if the screen was on the tablet.

Is it worth the money if you do any design or 3D/CAD work...100% worth the investment. There is a learning curve it take a little getting used to but its certainly worth it in my opinion. It feels more natural when working. The question remains, do you have the budget for the tablet or the Cintiq and then what model. Larger tablets are usually good for people who use a longer penstroke when drawing and smaller tablets are good for shorter penstrokes or travel. The screen is different because you are working directly on it. Then there are the programmable function buttons on the sides and you are good to go. Another good design controller tool is a Logitech NuLooq but buyer beware its very limited in terms of what software its compatible with.

Capital Signs

Well, I will have to save up for it, when the need arises. RIght now, I can live with sending things to vector doctor to vectorize, just wondering what other cool uses I can get out of it, i'm sure there are a few...

zmatalucci

I figured it out, thanks guys!
And yes, it is certainly worth the investment. It was actually given to me by my neighbor. I don't know how I did it for so long without one. Mine is a 9-12, and I find it to be perfect for my drawing style. I will have some original drawings to post soon!

cOrKinSA

...It was actually given to me by my neighbor....
Thats a nice neighbor! Our neighbor put our wooden fence back up when a drunk driver took it out. I didn't even know he fixed it!
..er
..um
...okay back to the topic. Oh and there is a :corndog: missing on this thread.