• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Want a new monitor

tanneji

Hello all

I am looking at getting a new monitor for home as I have been doing a lot of my design work after hours and in front of the tv (And I might just be using it for the Xbox) . I am looking at an 24" ASUS but wondered if you had any recommendations on monitors or good places to buy them.

Thanks in advance

Joel

Shovelhead

Hello all

I am looking at getting a new monitor for home as I have been doing a lot of my design work after hours and in front of the tv (And I might just be using it for the Xbox) . I am looking at an 24" ASUS but wondered if you had any recommendations on monitors or good places to buy them.

Thanks in advance

Joel

Anything under 2ms refresh rate

tanneji

I was wondering about that ... Most of the Asus etc have a 5 ms and I was concerned about that due to my lack of knowledge about it

Shovelhead

I wouldn't think that there is a noticeable difference that a human can detect
between a 5ms and a 2ms. I have an LG and I like it.

OldPaint

seen 24" down to $179.00 do a price grabber check for best price....also chck out COUPON WEB SITES... might have some for different brand monitors

Sabre

I don't think the seek time (ms) will adversely affect the graphics capabilities of your monitor. We use a lot of Asus monitors around here and really like them. My current favourite is an LG model I have at home but I don't know which number it is offhand. I'll check it for you tonight.

sarge

i have a 22" samsung and a 21"nec opticlear .. they are both awesome .. i use the samsung for the main screen and the nec for tool bars and palettes .. the samsung is a 2ms refresh and i really cant remember what the nec is .. we also have dell monitors and laptops .. and no one has complained .. the nec is the oldest at about 4 years .. samsung is the newest at i think 18 months

Last edited:

The Vector Doctor

Chief Bezier Manipulator
Look up with google the difference between tft, s-ips, pva and s-pva. The higher end monitors used s-ips (all Apple, some NEC, some HP, some Dell). Much better color from a s-ips across the monitor and from the widest angles. I have a Samsung that is a TN-TFT and regret buying it. Samsung makes good monitors, but the one I bought shows color variations as I nod my head up and down or side to side (called poor viewing angles).

Also, specs such as contrast ratio and refresh rates are not based on a reliable standard and are often exaggerated

Here is a website that lists some monitors and the panels inside
http://lcdtech.no-ip.info/en/data/lcd.panels.in.monitors.htm

Refresh rate is more important if you are playing games and want fast action, but if you want the best color stick with s-ips, and 2nd best is s-pva. At least that is what I have learned after extensive research. The higher end monitors do a better job with gradients too. Most monitors dial up the contrast and intense colors because they look beautiful in the store and make graphics look intense, but the color is not true

The Vector Doctor

Chief Bezier Manipulator
BTW, the ips and pva monitors are not as cheap. If you want to hook up your xbox, look for something with alot of ports. The Dells do have some models with several ports so you can hook up gaming systems along with computers

The cheaper monitors are almost always tn-tft

cgsigns_jamie

I love my Apple Cinema Displays. Not cheap but as Eric mentioned you get what you pay for.

I do have a few Samsung's and like those as well. They would be perfectly fine for home use.

About that XBOX, I got one of the HD VGA cables for mine. I can connect the XBOX to the VGA port on the monitor and the computer is connected via the DVI.

tanneji

thanks so much for the info all. I have a much better idea about what I am looking for now. Thanks for the ton of info Vector Doctor. I didn't even know that there were that many options out there. I just thought an LCD was an LCD haha.

Thanks!!!

econolinesigns

I have a 24" Samsung and while comparing it to the LG next to it in the store, the color saturatio was much better as it has a 10000 to 1 dynamic contrast ratio which allows it to display more color separation. One of the best monitors out is the Acer G24 if you don't mind an orange monitor (NewEgg link: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824009155). I have also been told by several in the computer industry that the Apple Cinema Display screens are made by Dell or whoever makes Dell's Ultrasharp line of monitors and they are at least a couple of hundred dollars less.

The Vector Doctor

Chief Bezier Manipulator
I have a 24" Samsung and while comparing it to the LG next to it in the store, the color saturatio was much better as it has a 10000 to 1 dynamic contrast ratio which allows it to display more color separation. One of the best monitors out is the Acer G24 if you don't mind an orange monitor (NewEgg link: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824009155). I have also been told by several in the computer industry that the Apple Cinema Display screens are made by Dell or whoever makes Dell's Ultrasharp line of monitors and they are at least a couple of hundred dollars less.

Apple panels are made by LG. Only about 3-4 mfr make the panels. Dell uses LG for their IPS and Samsung for others

synergy_jim

Look up with google the difference between tft, s-ips, pva and s-pva. The higher end monitors used s-ips (all Apple, some NEC, some HP, some Dell). Much better color from a s-ips across the monitor and from the widest angles. I have a Samsung that is a TN-TFT and regret buying it. Samsung makes good monitors, but the one I bought shows color variations as I nod my head up and down or side to side (called poor viewing angles).

I agree.... I bought a samsung, used it for 2 weeks and got sick and tired of two objects having the same red but the one at the top of the screen always looked darker than the one at the bottom....

I ebayed it..... no more samsungs.... I love my dell monitors...

Sabre

Eric's Block of info

That's great information, thanks for the heads-up on stuff I've been too lazy to research myself. Did you come across anything on the new LED backlit monitors in your travels, too?

The LG I'm enjoying so much right now is a W2442PA (keep in mind this is mostly a gaming monitor currently, but I was thinking about upgrading the graphic monitors), but I couldn't find details on what panel type it was. Is there a specific field in the tech-specs that an average person could tell what type (tft, s-ips, pva and s-pva) it is? Or does it always require some extra digging around?

The Vector Doctor

Chief Bezier Manipulator
That's great information, thanks for the heads-up on stuff I've been too lazy to research myself. Did you come across anything on the new LED backlit monitors in your travels, too?

The LG I'm enjoying so much right now is a W2442PA (keep in mind this is mostly a gaming monitor currently, but I was thinking about upgrading the graphic monitors), but I couldn't find details on what panel type it was. Is there a specific field in the tech-specs that an average person could tell what type (tft, s-ips, pva and s-pva) it is? Or does it always require some extra digging around?

You likely have to go to the website to pull up the panel type. It is never advertised. Or it should be on the box in very fine print. Let's put it this way, if the monitor is cheap, then it is likely a tft. There is a reason that some monitors are $600-800 and the same size can also be $200. Dell's more expensive monitors are s-pva or s-ips

The average consumer will be fine with a tft. If color is important, don't buy a cheap monitor, period

I am waiting on the LED monitor technology before replacing my Samsung. Apple came out with a 24" LED LCD but it only works as an extra monitor to hook up to the latest laptops. You cannot hook it up to a old laptop or any existing desktops

They have discontinued the 23", only 20 and 30" available from Apple. 23-24 is a good size. I imagine they will make all LED, not sure when

If not, I will replace with another brand, as long as it is an IPS panl