• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Waste Disposal

danno

I am wondering how everybody else is disposing of waste ink and various supplies from their shop. I have 2 solvents, 2 latex, 1 aqueous and 1 uv machine. Yes, all the latex goes back to HP on the recycle program. I am currently working with Safety Kleen for the other machines, but would like to see what other options might be out there.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
We put ours into paint buckets and once a year, a local organization has a recycle day and you can take ANYTHING there, as long as it's properly closed or contained. Anything. They ask no questions.

fozzie

We use safety kleen also. Not a lot of options for hazard waste where we are. Bottom line though, in our experience, you better have a source for proper ink waste disposal. Had a state EPA official show up several years ago and luckily we had our ducks in a row. The fines would have been huge.

AceSignsOnline

In a similar thread from a few months ago, I read that someone was giving away their eco-solvent waste to some local artists. I thought that was a great idea, so I've been doing just that.

MagnificentBastid

I recycle my Roland 440 Ink Carts doing the strategy below, that I found on the FatWallet Finance Forums. The ink runoff I'm currently mixing with cat liter to make disposal easier. I wish there was a way to recycle the run off.

ink/toner cartridge recycling primer/faq for Office Depot, OfficeMax and Staples (vers. 2013.07.01)

• Office Depot:
    • recycle:
      • value: up to 200 rewards points per cartridge recycled -- see purchase requirement below.
      • limit: 10 per calendar month - no per day restriction
      • type: ink or toner cartridge - all brands - may reject visibly damaged cartridges
    • purchase requirement:
      • to qualify to recycle for a month, a qualified purchase of $10 or more must be made in that month
      • Qualifying purchases exclude taxes; delivery fees; postage stamps; and prepaid gift, debit, phone or services cards; and purchases made with Office Depot Rewards and Merchandise Cards/Certificates.
    • recycling rewards:
      • issued:
        • recycling rewards points are paid out monthly together with purchase (standard and bonus) rewards points in the form of a Rewards Certificate.
        • rewards points are paid out in 1000 point increments
        • 1000 points equals $10
        • Rewards Certificates are made available within 30 days after the end of the month in which the rewards points are earned. To date this has meant sometime in the latter half of the month.
        • unpaid out points carryover from month to month until the end of the quarter when they expire
      • usage: Rewards Certificates may be redeemed on purchases at Office Depot US stores (including Puerto Rico), online or by phone (excluding all gift and prepaid cards)
      • expiration:
        • official: 60 days after the date of issuance
        • effective: the last day of the month 2 months following the month in which they are issued (???)
    • member services:
  • OfficeMax:
    • recycle: (for trial markets see LINK ) (for all stores in California and select stores in Denver and Kansas City see LINK )
      • value: up to $2 in rewards per cartridge recycled -- see purchase requirement below
      • limit: 10 per calendar month - no per day restriction
      • type:
        • t&c: any visibly undamaged, originally manufactured, ink/toner cartridges. Remanufactured ink/toner cartridges are not eligible for rewards under the recycling program.
        • Some OM stores may accept remanufacturer cartridges
    • purchase requirement:
      • total recycling reward dollars issued for recycling may not exceed your total MaxPerks program qualified purchase balance.
      • Qualifying purchases are any products or services in our stores, catalogs or web site except for computers, tablets, eReaders, US Postal Stamps, gift cards, general use prepaid cards, phone cards, all products sold by RadioShack Mobile including mobile phones, mobile phone accessories and service plans, purchases with Retail Connect pricing, sales tax and purchases made prior to the date of enrollment, and purchases made with your MaxPerks rewards.
      • recycling and purchases carry over from month to month - expire at calendar year end
    • recycling rewards:
      • issued: monthly with purchase rewards about 15-30 days after month's end on a Rewards Card (unlimited use until funds exhausted or card expired), printable from the rewards site
      • usage: Reward Cards are not redeemable for gift cards, general use pre-paid cards, phone cards and are not redeemable for cash unless otherwise required by law.
        • in-store: t&c state up to three Rewards Cards may be used on a purchase but I used four without the cash register complaining this past June.
        • online: limited to one Reward Card or gift card per purchase.
        • phone: t&c state up to three Rewards Cards may be used on a purchase.
      • expiration:
        • official: 90 days after the date of issuance
        • effective: the last day of the month 3 months following the month in which they are issued
    • member services:
  • Staples:
    • recycle:
      • value: $2 in rewards per cartridge recycled -- see purchase requirement below
      • limit: Membership Level:
        • Standard: 10 per calendar month - no per day restriction
        • Plus ($500 in qualified purchases): 20 per calendar month - no per day restriction
        • Premier ($1000 in qualified purchases): 20 per calendar month - no per day restriction
      • type: any used ink or toner cartridge sold at any retail stores in the US
    • purchase requirement
      • $30 in ink/toner purchases in the past 180 days
    • recycling rewards:
      • issued: monthly, on a separate rewards certificate from purchase rewards, usually in the middle of the month after the month in which the recycling occurred. The rewards certificate is printable from the rewards site (ink rewards certificates can also be emailed and purchase rewards are also US Mailed).
      • usage: recycling rewards (and purchase rewards) are redeemable for most merchandise in Staples stores, online at staples.com or by phone at 1-800-333-3330 but cannot be redeemed for or applied against taxes, cash, credit remittance, delivery charges, custom printing orders placed online, promotional products, Staples gift cards, third party gift cards, prepaid phone cards, postage stamps, prior purchases, Staples Industrial purchases or any purchases made on other provider Web sites.
        • online: single transaction - must use full amount of reward check
        • in-store: two transactions -- a balance coupon is issued in-store if rewards check is not used all at once. Balance coupon has same expiration date as rewards check and must be used all at once in-store or online
      • expiration:
        • standard: the last day of the month 2 months following the month in which they are issued
        • plus: the last day of the month 2 months following the month in which they are issued
        • premier: the last day of the month 5 months following the month in which they are issued
    • member services

http://www.fatwallet.com/forums/deal-discussion/1007173/ << original discussion is here

CreatedDesigns

In my neck of the woods we can not put the flammable liquid in the trash. But if we put kitty litter in and let the liquid dry we can throw it in the trash as normal.

CanuckSigns

I dump it down the sewer in the middle of the night.....

j/k I also dump it into kitty litter and put it in the dumpster

gabagoo

so basically letting the solvent release makes the ink disposable? If I dump it in kitty litter I guess it outgasses over time and then it is disposable in regular garbage....hmmmmm I have 4 -5 gallon drums saved up over the years...that's a lot of kitty poo

danno

I guess I wish I had that little. I have been filling a 16 gallon drum in less than a year. The feds might start snooping if I start purchasing that. They might think I've figured out how to make something they can tax me more for.

CreatedDesigns

so basically letting the solvent release makes the ink disposable? If I dump it in kitty litter I guess it outgasses over time and then it is disposable in regular garbage....hmmmmm I have 4 -5 gallon drums saved up over the years...that's a lot of kitty poo

Yep this is correct we cleaned out our back room and had two pallets of paint and the kitty litter is exactly what they told us to do and then it went with the regular trash.

on another note this doesn't work with oil you still need to recycle that lol.