• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Waterjet cut aluminum, Rustoleum Paint

jpsamuel06

We're doing a sign for a local company that's going to be waterjet cut alum. We purchased a few cans of Rustoleum paint for the final coat (spray bomb), but I was wondering, will that paint work directly over the alum. or is some type of primer required?

Thanks

Z SIGNS

You can do it.All you need is an investment of equipment and practice.
To answer your question.
Yeah your going to have to prime it.
Scruff it clean it properly self etch prime then topcoat.
We paint most of our alum but if it's a job that has to be especially"nice" like signs going in a bank lobby we send it out to someone like Gemini.

jpsamuel06

Not sure on the type of aluminum. It's a sheet that's about 5' x 2 1/2'.

I did body work for about 6 years, but never dealt with aluminum. Can I use the same stuff we used to spray the bare metal with before painting? Self etching primer, its a green color and you only need a thin layer.

Now, how do I achieve a nice even coat with a rattlecan? LOL Has anyone ever used those attachments for spray paint that you snap on the top and it gives you a handle/trigger and creates a fan pattern instead of a point?

fresh

I think there is no easy answer to your question. With practice, you can get a smooth finish using spray paint. I don't know about the durability though.

We've been using Sherwin Williams All Surface Enamel a lot lately, and I've been able to get a pretty nice finish using a foam roller. We also added a flow-enhancer to the paint to help with self-leveling.

If you have a real paint store near you (not home depot), you could try to pick their brains about how to get a better finish. They will be able to help you and provide you with the right materials more than any of us can. Good luck!