• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

weird issue

visual800

I have a right angle sign located on corner of 2 streets, it has 2 faces. I placed LEDs in the sign with 2 drivers. My LEDs were UNDER the total amount I could put on one driver. It has been burning for 2 weeks no issues. The placed called and said one side it out. I went there and checked my connections. I got power going into driver and coming out of driver AND I got power running between most of LED modules. I checked everything connection I made and even redid some. Still no lights.

What in the h@ll could be going on? My next step is to swap power supplies and see what happens then

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
Or your truck battery, this is only good for a test bump, do not leave it hooked up. Unless they have a current regulator chip built in, you could dump too much amperage through the modules and end up wrecking them for long terms sake, but they would still burn for the moment.

I would have swapped the ps between the two cabinets to see if that could be the issue. Did you run the modules in multiple legs, or just one long run? One long run can burn out the first few modules due to too much amperage passing through them, though your power supply and led data sheets should tell you how many modules in a run. What brand modules?

Earlier this week we came behind some electricians who made final connection on one of our installs. They somehow decided to hook up the power supply to half the letters that were on a raceway, then proceeded to route primary into the other two individual letters with conduit and fittings instead of behind the wall, and hook then primary up to the modules. Just to reiterate, these were licensed and bonded electricians. Luckily they didn't burn the building down.

Do not start with me on what real licensed and bonded electricians are capable of doing and fucking up. Last month my customer complained that one of the signs we installed was blowing their circuit and causing their lights not to come on. They had a licensed electrician working on the construction site and he confirmed it's our sign. I apologized to the client and said there must be a short somewhere because that's really the only thing that could be tripping the breaker. I call the sign installers and they hook it up to their generator and all is well. Ends up they had too many lights on their circuit. All this back and forth and having people go out there and waste time and the idiot electrician couldn't diagnose a simple problem. It's always "must be the thing OTHER people did... not my fault" attitude. Lazy

visual800

Well! I went back yesterday to swap the power supplies and see if one was faulty. I dont know how I missed this when I was there the other day BUT the one thats not lighting up was actually busted and a little brown discolorization at top of it. Ive got 120v coming into the sign and each power supply is running UNDER the specified load of modules it could handle. I called the supplier and they issued an RMA

Attachments

• church copy.jpg
    830.6 KB · Views: 85
Last edited:

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Well, tex and JB..... call me stupid, but isn't this why nothing else is supposed to be on the same circuit as your sign ?? It's always been our way of doing it. All electric signs must be on a dedicated line.

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
Well, tex and JB..... call me stupid, but isn't this why nothing else is supposed to be on the same circuit as your sign ?? It's always been our way of doing it. All electric signs must be on a dedicated line.
You can ask that all you want .... My rule is, if there is a J box labeled "Sign" I'll connect to it... otherwise I take pictures of it lighting off the generator and call it a day.

visual800

the power suplly slit open and had burn coloring on top of it, im assuming this was defective

Attachments

• church copy.jpg
    830.6 KB · Views: 81