• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Well it had to happen didn't it

fmg

I hardly ever get any walk-ins as that is not the type of shop that we are.
So this bloke walks in and says can you make me a 24" by 24" sign here is the layout(low res jpg).Staples have quoted me $65 for one on pvc can you beat that price.BEAT IT!!! Mate I don't even turn on the computer for less than $175 and thats just to turn it on. By the way where did you say you got your envelopes and rubber bands from?
Ridiculous world we live in.

tsgstl

Wow, you better call a grief counselor. How horrible, I am sorry you had to put up with such a thing.

TheSnowman

So, you had a normal day?
I was thinking the same thing. I actually just had a new one though. A guy came in smoking whatever he'd rolled on his own and stunk up my shop and said he was looking for something with ammonia in it to clean the windows of his car. I kindly informed him I'm not a cleaning supply store, and all I have is adhesive remover. He wanted to use adhesive remover to clean the windows of his car, but he "only wanted a cap full". I should have just given it to him to teach him a lesson that I know what adhesive remover and mud will do to his windows, but sent him out the door instead.

threeputt

I hardly ever get any walk-ins as that is not the type of shop that we are.
So this bloke walks in and says can you make me a 24" by 24" sign here is the layout(low res jpg).Staples have quoted me $65 for one on pvc can you beat that price.BEAT IT!!! Mate I don't even turn on the computer for less than $175 and thats just to turn it on. By the way where did you say you got your envelopes and rubber bands from?
Ridiculous world we live in.

I understand that we all have different overheads, but you can't make a sign for under $175.00? Wow.

JBusch260

I was thinking the same thing. I actually just had a new one though. A guy came in smoking whatever he'd rolled on his own and stunk up my shop and said he was looking for something with ammonia in it to clean the windows of his car. I kindly informed him I'm not a cleaning supply store, and all I have is adhesive remover. He wanted to use adhesive remover to clean the windows of his car, but he "only wanted a cap full". I should have just given it to him to teach him a lesson that I know what adhesive remover and mud will do to his windows, but sent him out the door instead.

Good grief. It's probably for the best you sent him out instead of dealing with the results of remover and mud. It doesn't sound like that was the type of person to keep around a place of business any longer than you have to.

fmg

I understand that we all have different overheads, but you can't make a sign for under $175.00? Wow.
It's not that we cant it's we don't want to as it will get in the way of making a $5000 sign.
Fortunately we are not that type of business.

J Hill Designs

not really catering to small, walk-in types ...

we arent really that type of business either.

I dont think it means any disrespect.

:thumb:

fmg

It means we cant be bothered with small consumable junk throw away type signage. No disrespect to anyone.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Hey Marlene.......

It takes all kinds to make the world go round. The majority of our jobs are on the large side and we have a large minimum, but that's all in writing for a backup in case we want to enforce it and show that we have in fact a policy that we follow, but I make exceptions all the time, which is what I guess you and many others do.

Personally, I see nothing wrong if someone doesn't want to do a small job, but we can be working on so many jobs at once and while ink or paint is drying, or while glue is setting up, or things are being cut or printed or someone is wiring a box...... it's really nice to have all the little jobs going through the shop and keeping a healthy cash flow going. Small jobs can keep employees busy in more ways than one. I've always said, I'd rather have one $10,000 than ten $1,000 jobs, but if I had both, I'd be even happier.

I don't think anyone was speaking down to you or me, but it takes different strokes for different folks..... yowsa..... yowsa..... yowsa.

Caitlin

Just a thought here... it's one thing to be one of those shops who only does large jobs, or gets the majority of small jobs directed their way. We will try to accomodate most reasonable requests here, large or small. That said, we run Gerber so it's mostly a small format shop, but we keep very busy. I find that sometimes it's the small walk-in jobs that break up the monotony and stress of the big jobs. This morning I was struggling with a difficult file and I had a client walk in who just wanted a name cut out of black vinyl. Just a little job, but the last time he was here he wanted cut vinyl for an old peddle car he had restored and he was thrilled with the results, and I know he will bring other restoration projects to me in the future. Likewise, I have a client who collects jukeboxes and sometimes asks me to make him bizarre pieces for them - but he also works for a government agency who is a client of ours. He LOVES that I am willing to oblige his requests and goes out of his way to send me photos of the completed projects, which makes me feel good about what I do.

Not trying to stir the pot- just saying that sometimes it's underrated making individuals happy, even if the profit margins aren't as large. Sometimes they will refer us, or come back with other, more professional (and profitable) jobs in their other lives. Not to say we accept every little thing off the street, but you never know.
Just .02!

fmg

The problem regarding this topic is in my first post "Staples have quoted me $65 for one on pvc can you beat that price" That is wasting our time and we don't want to entertain that type of customer.We hardly ever get beaten up on price with the type of projects we specialize in.
Go to staples and let them make you your plastic sign.