• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

News We're Back Online With Our New Design!

Like our new design? Vote in the poll and post about it...

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

SignsSupport

Support & Tech Administrator
Is this being overlooked or membership is now $100?
Eon Media

The old vBulletin install actually made use of vBAdvanced. I've created some fabulous homepage design with vBA. It's my all-time favorite vBulletin plugin. Unfortunately it is dead. It hasn't been developed for years and will no longer be developed, as development and support was "OFFICIALLY" ended in 2014. View attachment 123431
Wait a sec.. "Is that rigamortis setting in? Is there a pulse? Is there a pulse?? Nurse .... 20CCs of XenPorta2 stat.."
di-ZS5P.gif

"Yup," says the nurse after stickin' it to the live one, all focus on the dead one. "Tis definitely rigamortis. It's basically a corpse that vBA thang..."
di-UIP2.gif

J.

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
Fred Weiss said:
What those who commented about the page not advancing are looking for is what was central to the old vbPortal display of "Recent Threads from Our Forums". It would take one back to view the titles of threads in chronological order for the previous two weeks at the rate of 30 threads to a page. It typically would contain 15 to 20 pages of recent threads whether the member had read them or not. It simply represents an alternate way of viewing threads that evidently some members had become used to using. Conversely, the News threads were a part of that and the News Blocks you have set to look at older news through page changes were never cycled in the past.

FWIW, I think the current approach is counter-intuitive. Most viewers are looking at the Recent Threads and when they click on page 2 expect the next oldest threads to be displayed ... not the News below them.

JacquiiDesigns - The old vBulletin install actually made use of vBAdvanced. I've created some fabulous homepage design with vBA. It's my all-time favorite vBulletin plugin. Unfortunately it is dead. It hasn't been developed for years and will no longer be developed, as development and support was "OFFICIALLY" ended in 2014.

That being said - I will be posting an announcement thread about some of Xenforo's features. I think you'll also be (somewhat?) pleased with the changes we've made to the current XenPorta2 homepage design, which I absolutely believe is superior to vBA in every way imaginable. Of course - That's my opinion - And I'm sticking to it.

Another nifty feature of Xenforo is the Recent Activity section. You'll find the link the "Home" dropdown menu and/or sublinks. I'll post more about it in the announcement thread.

Fred Weiss - My point was regarding the way the Recent Threads worked. It was offered as a possibility that you might have the option and/or the ability to set it up that way and, perhaps, hadn't noticed the difference. It is a given that vBulletin and vbAdvanced have become obsolete and that Xenforo is going to be the go to software for Signs 101. A simple yes, no or "I'll look into it" would be preferred over a rehash of Xenforo being a great and superior product.

Signs101Admin

Owner
Staff member
Sorry guys , with such a large investment to continue to use outdated, unsupported, unsecured software it just not a wise move. We will continue to LISTEN to the members and make REASONABLE accommodations, I have been in the forms business for over 16 years, and have much success. Since the upgrade traffic has gone up 20%, posting up about 5% , registrations up 150% and user activity up 150%. To some it just the "newbies" but I'm sure that most who are in business have no problem welcoming New "business"? I will do my best to screen new memeber as I have been and removed as necessary.

Last edited:

SignosaurusRex

Okay Jacquii, Let me ask this.... "Are you capable of retrieving the contents of the gallery that appeared on my profile page in the old vB"?
If so, I don't care where you put images as long as I can then retrieve them and I will gladly recreate a gallery.

SignsSupport

Your new "View All New Forum Posts" button solved the issue for me. Thanks.
You're welcome!

...It is a given that vBulletin and vbAdvanced have become obsolete and that Xenforo is going to be the go to software for Signs 101. A simple yes, no or "I'll look into it" would be preferred over a rehash of Xenforo being a great and superior product.
It is great and is superior right? LOL And I'd prefer the current 44 votes of 'kinda sux' at least be 'eh!'
My only concern here really is to prove that Signs101 has been upgraded. I hope I've proved that Fred Weiss. Thanks.
As an FWIW ... I've posted a bit about at News - New Signs101 Functionality/features Added And Explained...

J.

ikarasu

Eon Media should be able to answer whether the upload size should be increased. It should be noted that the vBulletin upload size was much smaller. 1MB is plenty for an uploaded image IMO though...

The line break issues should be fixed. Can you verify please ikarasu

This has been implemented Pauly:
View attachment 123388

Thanks for the suggestion!

signage - I don't believe that's an option in the Xenforo default featureset.
I'll check and see - but I don't think it's an option...

J.

Slightly better. Now on long posts it always appears on the second to last line like above - never through the text, so it's an improvement!

[Edit] I realize I probably used the worst post as an example. But it was the easiest to see the line in. Even if there's 10 words, the break line is always above the last line.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20170202-202122.png
    Screenshot_20170202-202122.png
    357 KB · Views: 274

SignsSupport

Okay. I'm re-opening this thread. First, because there is a lot of information that may be helpful to members as for site functionality and navigation. Second, because we appreciate the member feedback and suggestions that have been posted, 90% or more of which have been implemented for the betterment of the community.

Please remember to keep your critique, feedback and suggestions pithy, specific and CONSTRUCTIVE. Also - many of you had voted negatively in the poll. If your opinion has changed - We'll appreciate it if you let us know by changing your vote! Do so by using the "Change Your Vote" link in the poll section:

As an FYI - There should be no further posting about ad blocking or upgraded membership pricing. Decisions have been made and are no longer up for discussion. Also - we are in the process of developing an updated TOS/posting policy, part of which include the following:

Staff Directive Is Law
If a moderator or staff member takes an action or posts a decision (for example, to stop with a particular topic), you must adhere to this. If you discover a staff directive only after you’ve posted a message that contravenes it, your post will be removed. Other posts which go against moderator instruction will be removed with a warning issued for having ignored staff direction.

If you have a problem with or question about a moderator’s decision, start a conversation with the moderator privately via the PM system or submit ticket through the Signs101 Support Ticket system. Posts or topics discussing moderator actions will be removed without notice with the offending member issued a warning for policy violation.

Please keep this in mind when posting. Any violation of this directive will result in posts being removed and/or thread banning.

Also - we hope you all have appreciated the changes we've made during the site upgrade process. If yes = Tell us so. If no = Then please feel free to make suggestions. All feedback is welcome. And please feel free to change your vote using the "Change Your Vote" link in the poll section if you had originally voted "Nope. Kinda Sux." :thumb:

Thanks,

J.

Signed Out

What's the deal with attaching images? I only see options to post image url's. Can we no longer upload a jpg to a thread?

SignsSupport

What's the deal with attaching images? I only see options to post image url's. Can we no longer upload a jpg to a thread?
All-SignZ - There was previously the option of attaching images via the quick editor's image BBCode button. Since the new software allows uploads of additional file types (.txt, .zip, etc...) ...The image BBCode, as you've noted, is for hotlinking images only. Xenforo developers believe it's a bit more intuitive to only use the Upload A File button for ability to upload all allowed attachment types. It resides in the quick editor form with the rest of the editor buttons.

I'm liking it so far.
Thanks for the feedback nickgreyink.

J.

SignsSupport

Is there a place to vote "kinda sux" about policy changes, even if voting "yes, sorta brilliant" to the new forum upgrade?
I've edited your post iSign and have moved it into its own thread in the proper section. To answer your original question though. No. This thread is regarding the site upgrade, specifically for the vBulletin to Xenforo script change, as well as functionality and aesthetic concerns. The poll is quite specific as well ==> Like our new design?

So discussion on specific policy change, as I've noted in my previous post #187 should probably reside in a different section, if indeed at all. That being noted - I've moved your post to its own thread at Re: Policy Changes, Even If Voting "yes, Sorta Brilliant" On The Forum Upgrade...

If you guys appreciate the actual design, enhanced functionality and script change, please change your vote to reflect it.
Thanks,

J.

SignsSupport

I think it's very nice.
Thanks Bly. I appreciate the kind comment!

I read the "specific" poll language, and voted accordingly... followed by a quite specific inquiry: ""is there a place..."
I don't see the relevance of drawing attention to what isn't the place, when my asking if there is one pretty much shows that I know this ain't it... but thanks for the clarification.
Hmmm... There absolutely is a place to voice your opinion as for Signs101 policy. It's why -- as a courtesy -- I moved your post in its entirety to the appropriate section. Unfortunately as Paul has stated, and has been noted in the thread - such discussion is more welcome via the Support Ticket system that in open forums.

Really? Move it and promptly lock it down? WTH?
At least iSign got the respect in it being left alone enough to be read!
It was a courtesy. As I've said to iSign - I can appreciate the sentiments very much. And so can Paul.
He has, again, made his opinion plainly clear:

If anyone has questions or concerns, please use the support ticket I will no longer be using the open forums for people to entertain themselves with mockery, debates, insults or mindless banter. The site for the purpose of learning and providing help, I have wasted enough time entertaining the few who have nothing better than stoke fire and misrepresent myself or the site.

If any one wants to continue off topic discussions and attacks against me or the site you will be banned, their are a majority of people who do not appreciate it and want to talk about sign making.
So really - is further discussion and mockery even needed.
Let's please stop and stick to the topic of THIS particular thread or thread-banning will occur guys.
Thanks.

I enjoyed your post but could not reply as the thread it now resides in was locked down by the time I finished reading it.

Now I shall have to request a new feature to allow adding chapter headings for posts long enough to need them.

wayne k
guam usa
Chapter headings? I'm sure you're being facetious - But yes... Use
BBCODE FOR YOUR CHAPTER HEADING:
:D

that new feature may not be worth the trouble as I myself might be locked down by then
Well... IDK if I'll be the one locking you down. But if that's the way you feel... I'm very troubled about it.
The changes that have been made on Signs101 are superb IMO. I don't believe the poll numbers reflect reality. I've personally received several nice comments in private and via email. But honestly ... Your post has been read and your concerns have been taken into consideration. If I were you and had more to say - I'd honestly post a support ticket as has been instructed. Perhaps Paul will entertain your concerns in private - but more talk about it here will result in post deletions and thread-bans.

Thanks for understanding. Also ... I don't see that you voted in the poll iSign? :(

J.

ikarasu

Off topic , I know... Sorry.

I felt the same way as the above people. But I opened a ticket, and both of you replied to it. I didn't get banned, and the end of the day... It's your forum to run.

You'll either make it better and gain more people, or make it worst and lose some. Either way, they're Pauly's decisions... And we may not have to like them, but we should.abide by them. No one forces us to stay here - and while I don't like the feeling of being censored on the forums, the fact that they will not only listen, but respond in tickets is good enough for me.

This is a sign forum after all, it should stick to that topic.

Sorry for dereailing your thread again, Jacqui!

Just to make it not a complete waste of time.. :). You are away the line issue is still happening right? Attached is a screenshot. Sometimes it's on the last line... Sometimes a bit before. It's not as annoying now that it doesn't seem to ever actually cut through the words, but it's still in the wrong spot!

Attachments

• Screenshot_20170216-210859.png
    Screenshot_20170216-210859.png
    350.3 KB · Views: 334
Status
Not open for further replies.