• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

What are using using to RIP to your Mimaki JV3 SPII (Firewire) isses

speedmedia

Ok,
So I have been battling this Mimaki JV3 and the Firewire for 4 years with error 10's to no avail. I have tried different computers, RIP Software, Firewire cards, Firewire cables everything you could imagine. Nobody knows or is able to fix it from my techs to Mimaki. It has gotten out of hand. I am looking for clues on how to get around this problem.

What computer are you using to RIP to your Mimaki JV3 SPI II printer? I am at a loss at this point. I wish they would have used a USB system instead, the Firewire seems very buggy.

Anyone have anything I can try or any suggestions to help me out. I am at my wits end!

I wish there was a way to convert this thing over to USB like they did with the JV33. We have one of those printers and it runs flawlessly.

Thanks,
Kurt

Letterbox Mike

Contact Mimaki and ask them if they have an older version of their firewire driver. I agree, the firewire is finicky for some reason. We had some issues getting it set up, you have to find the right combination of firewire card, Mimaki firewire driver and driver for the actual board. I was about to give up but I tracked someone down at Mimaki's tech support who recommended I try an older version of the Mimaki firewire driver and it's worked fine for four years now, we're on our third RIP computer in that time and I just keep transferring the card over and reinstalling the driver. I can see if I can figure out what version of the driver it is when I get to the shop on Monday for you. I don't know if I can email a copy of it to you or not but I'll try...

You got a JV33? Big improvement over the JV3, eh? We love ours, the JV3 was a great printer but it's a dinosaur compared to the newer technology.

CJ Troutt

Well what system do you use and what is the firmware at on the printer.
I use Mimaki JV3-75 SP II and Flexi 7.6.v2 & 8.1 pro and 8.6 print & cut that
is on different PC windows XP Pro and Win 7 Pro and no problems I use Fire wire Driver that is needed per system.
If you need to pm me do so and might be able to help I have Most all Drivers for the fire wire per system.

speedmedia

Contact Mimaki and ask them if they have an older version of their firewire driver. I agree, the firewire is finicky for some reason. We had some issues getting it set up, you have to find the right combination of firewire card, Mimaki firewire driver and driver for the actual board. I was about to give up but I tracked someone down at Mimaki's tech support who recommended I try an older version of the Mimaki firewire driver and it's worked fine for four years now, we're on our third RIP computer in that time and I just keep transferring the card over and reinstalling the driver. I can see if I can figure out what version of the driver it is when I get to the shop on Monday for you. I don't know if I can email a copy of it to you or not but I'll try...

You got a JV33? Big improvement over the JV3, eh? We love ours, the JV3 was a great printer but it's a dinosaur compared to the newer technology.

Mike,
If you can find out what version or email it that would be awesome! Either way I would love to try it to see if it will help.

My biz partner has the JV33 and yes, it makes the JV3 look like a turd in terms of performance and usability. I printed a bunch of stuff with it over the weekend and it is just an awesome printer! It is also a USB printer which leads me to believe Mimaki realized they screwed up by utilizing the Firewire on JV3. I love my printer but this issue has made me want to roll it out in the road in front of a semi...lol

I contacted Mimaki about the error 10 thing and nobody acted like they knew about it. I am just really frustrated with it. I guess it just takes the right person. Rob at Advantage has been trying to help me out with it as well we just haven't found the right solution as of yet.

I just really more than anything want to get it running right so I can take advantage of all of the things it is supposed to do instead of hover over it and sit there and babysit when it is printing.

Thanks,
Kurt

speedmedia

Well what system do you use and what is the firmware at on the printer.
I use Mimaki JV3-75 SP II and Flexi 7.6.v2 & 8.1 pro and 8.6 print & cut that
is on different PC windows XP Pro and Win 7 Pro and no problems I use Fire wire Driver that is needed per system.
If you need to pm me do so and might be able to help I have Most all Drivers for the fire wire per system.

CJ,
I started with a PC that I installed RasterLink II on and a Texas Instruments Firewire card per my tech at Advantage. Have had this problem since about 4 years ago.

I just upgrade to a new Gateway computer hich has way more power than needed per specs with onboard Firewire and I installed another Firewire board in it. It runs Vista, which I hate and I installed Onyx 7.3.2 on it and am still getting the error. I also installed RasterLink II on it but Vista does not support it so it cannot be used.

I will check Firmware on it. Not sure off bat. Whatever came with it. That hasn't been updated that I am aware of.

Thanks,
Kurt

Letterbox Mike

Haha, I know how you feel. Technically, there's nothing wrong with Firewire, it's excellent technology, in Mimaki's case there are just enough variables to make it almost too finicky to be worth it. When the JV3 came out though, there really was no other option, USB 2.0 wasn't out yet and regular USB wasn't fast enough to transfer that kind of data, parallel or serial was the same, couldn't handle the throughput, so it was either an ethernet connection or firewire. I'm glad they went firewire, personally, but it's a pain in the ass. It's a shame too, the JV3, while now "oldschool" is a killer printer, it revolutionized out business to say the least, but if something as elementary as the computer-to-printer connection is not reliable that will render anything useless.

Another option you may consider is looking into a USB-to-firewire adapter or hub. I have zero experience with these but I've heard that the devices exist. Dunno if it will resolve your issues but I guess it's worth looking into.

I'll see if I can figure out our exact setup tomorrow for you...

CJ Troutt

Error 10 is between the local mode and your rip software IE Firewire
your firewire card on the PC has 6 contact on it and the same at your printer.????
also V2:00 or V2:10 drivers were Very BugBug for XP pro I use V2:20 Fire wire driver and is your fire wire card Have TI on the Chip Ti stands for texas Ins.
Last of all you can only have 1 and only one firewire plug in at any one time or you will get error msg 10. Hope this help.
I do all my own repairs and firmware up grade.

CJ Troutt

Ditto INSIGNIA Ditto
I went through this to and it was firm ware 7.30 I back it down to 7.10 and up dated firewire to V 2:20 and no problems fix.

CJ Troutt

I runing Windows 7 Pro and no problems at all I had to install V3:00 firewire driver and works great.
I hate Vista also what is your system opps 32 Bit or 64 Bit.
jv3 hate 64 bit I made them work but error 10 is every time I printed I wiped the PC and install with a fresh install never had any more problems again.

Letterbox Mike

I runing Windows 7 Pro and no problems at all I had to install V3:00 firewire driver and works great.
I hate Vista also what is your system opps 32 Bit or 64 Bit.
jv3 hate 64 bit I made them work but error 10 is every time I printed I wiped the PC and install with a fresh install never had any more problems again.

Kurt, you may also consider upgrading to Windows 7. We're on win 7 64 bit and it's been unbelievably stable compared to XP or Vista. RIP speed increased and odd communications hicups between the computer and the JV3 have completely disappeared.

speedmedia

Kurt, you may also consider upgrading to Windows 7. We're on win 7 64 bit and it's been unbelievably stable compared to XP or Vista. RIP speed increased and odd communications hicups between the computer and the JV3 have completely disappeared.

That is good to know as well. What version do you have? Home, business professional?

Thanks,
Kurt

Letterbox Mike

That is good to know as well. What version do you have? Home, business professional?

Thanks,
Kurt

Pro. Even though we've always been a PC-only shop (to keep all platforms the same), I've always hated Windows and have always adored Mac OS for it's smooth operation and more stable environment. Windows 7 64 bit has totally made me forget Apple exists... It's really really good.

speedmedia

Pro. Even though we've always been a PC-only shop (to keep all platforms the same), I've always hated Windows and have always adored Mac OS for it's smooth operation and more stable environment. Windows 7 64 bit has totally made me forget Apple exists... It's really really good.

Thanks for the info. Will head to the computer shop tomorrow to see about getting this.

Thanks,
Kurt

speedmedia

I hate windows as well. Matter of fact we are an all Apple shop except for our three RIP computers which I despise but if you what you say is true about 7 that will certainly help. I've always run XP when I could because that was most stable for me then I bought this computer with that poor excuse for an OS Vista on it and wanted to pull my hair out of my head..lol.

I will give it a shot!

Thanks again guys, great info!

Thanks,
Kurt

speedmedia

Are you guys using custom built computers or big box stuff? One of mine is a Compaq and the other a Gateway.

Thanks,
Kurt

Letterbox Mike

Nah, we probably should be but when my last RIP station kicked it I was in a pinch and bought a thousand dollar off-the-shelf HP desktop from the computer store, thinking I'd use it as a stand-in until I had time to build a beast... Quad core AMD, 6gb RAM, single hard drive, and it burns through files like they were nothing. That was a year ago now and I haven't replaced it, no need to, it works just fine. I can't see the need for anything more.

gabagoo

I recently purchased a new comp with win 7 64 bit. I am not sure I can actually notice anything so different from xp outside of the look. I have never really been aware of the OS, I just accept it...lol Now I dont use illy or photoshop extensively so maybe thats where it is noticeable.
I can say that when I open files in Signlab 8 there is a delay, long enough that I wonder if I didn't click it properly, but I did.

speedmedia

Nah, we probably should be but when my last RIP station kicked it I was in a pinch and bought a thousand dollar off-the-shelf HP desktop from the computer store, thinking I'd use it as a stand-in until I had time to build a beast... Quad core AMD, 6gb RAM, single hard drive, and it burns through files like they were nothing. That was a year ago now and I haven't replaced it, no need to, it works just fine. I can't see the need for anything more.

Does it have built in firewire? If so did you add a TI Firewire card? Should the stock firewire be disabled?

Thanks,
Kurt