• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

what do you lube with?

MikePro

always been cleaning with WD-40 and lubing with 3-in-1, but was curious what/if anyone uses differently to lube the rail that the carriage travels on.

i've noticed if I don't do this, at least, monthly, I randomly get y-current errors and end up wasting material/drying out heads on weekend runs.

added note: i rock a Mimaki JV3-160sp, if that matters in your responses, but still curious about everyone else's models as well.

drive

on my jv3's i just use WD-40 once a week. The jv5 gets a pinch of lithium grease when i clean and lube the plastic gearing. Not on a regular schedule though. I don't get those y-current errors on anything but the 3's

MikePro

tips on polishing are also appreciated :) lol

....by that I mean, I actually use a cotton glove to get behind the rail near the contact points. I've found most of the crud back there rather than just stroking the surface.
:ROFLMAO:

"Deposit Please"

always been cleaning with WD-40 and lubing with 3-in-1, but was curious what/if anyone uses differently to lube the rail

Too funny!!!

kgirl

tips on polishing are also appreciated :) lol

....by that I mean, I actually use a cotton glove to get behind the rail near the contact points. I've found most of the crud back there rather than just stroking the surface.
:ROFLMAO:

I'm no expert by any means.....but I'm sure it's better to hand polish than use a machine....

TheSnowman

Ok, all the sick comments aside, I've never messed w/ this before on my Mimaki, and now you have me worried. What again is it that I'm supposed to be putting WD-40 on?

MikePro

ooooomg, things were just starting to get good!

anywho...
thread is in reference to my random "y-current errors" (when the print head carriage hits resistance while printing, it stops automatically, flashing Y-current on the screen) that I would get randomly much like a material jam but without the material jamming it.

About a year ago I came to realize that, after happening more and more frequently, it was because the friction of the silver-horizontal-rail that the print head carriage travels on... and after removing a bunch of black gunk with WD-40 and re-polishing it with 3-in-1 oil, that I wouldn't get another Y-current error of the sort for another few months (or NEVER, since I've started doing it as routine monthly maintenance.)

also noted: i never SPRAY it... i put it on a rag :ROFLMAO:

gabagoo

I use 3 in 1 weekly but clean the rails with alcohol before I relube.
I might try some astroglide......... maybe not lol

GB2

Old Member
I've looked into this issue previously for the same reason. Mimaki sells a lubricant specifically for this purpose, which is costly. I attempted to order some once but both my supplier, who maintains working machines in the showrooms, and Mimaki's own headquarters in the Boston area both use and recommended 3in1 oil for those rails. You should also inspect the bearings that ride on those rails to insure there is no build up of dust or anything stuck in them. If you do a search you may find older threads where this was discussed.

tbaker

y current errors, in addition to a sign that your guide rail needs oiling, can also be an early indicator that your y-pulley assembly is starting to go bad. I recommend, lightly rubbing your guide rail with a piece of steel wool, then wiping it down with a clean lint free rag. 3 in 1 oil is all I would ever recommend using on a jv3. Don't bother using a rag, a drop on either end, and one in the middle, and smear it around with your finger to prevent it from dropping on your media. Next a load media, and you're through.

Persistent y current errors indicate a bad pulley or motor, so contact your service tech to get it replaced, it's a couple hours and well worth it ( just for the decrease in sound)