• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

what do you think of this method to cut aluminum composite

bigben

Is it possible? I don't have a dibond sheet in my hand to try it.

[video=youtube_share;XcjjoOXHISs]http://youtu.be/XcjjoOXHISs[/video]

gabagoo

Ever since seeing that video, that is now how I do it. Some aluminums are thicker and may require several passes with the knife. Also you have to be careful as sometimes the bent edge can turn up a bit looking a little ugly. I solved that problem by finding one of those little 4" rollers that is made from an acrylic tube and I just flatten the piece out afterwards.

shoresigns

This is how we cut aluminum composite. That video sure shows off how thin the skin is on cheap Tru-Stock panels - one swipe with the scoring tool and it's good to go! Alupanel take a bit more work with the scoring tool. You'll need to deburr it after doing this, but you probably do after using a saw too.

gabagoo

What I really like using this method over the saw is that you don't get all those mouse turd black crap everywhere in the shop

Biker Scout

You can't really do that to brand name Dibond®. It's got a tougher polyethylene core and thicker aluminum skin. I can do that with polymetal and some other off brand ACM we sometimes get, but real Dibond® is awesome! (Also twice the price) I've never gotten a good edge doing that method. But what do I care, we have a shear.

S'N'S

Might work on cheaper or thinner faced composite panel but if certainly won't on good quality panel....especially with the light one swipe with the blade he done.

TXFB.INS

LMAO

love his action at the end B!ATCH you got servered

we use this method also, thicker skin, requires multiple passes and we also found that a more forceful blow will break the denser cores better.

Zx360

I've been doing this since last year when our panel saw caught a bit of cutoff aluminum "string" or what ever you would want to call it and whipped it at my face... I caught it with my hand and cut myself really good...
since then I won't use the panel saw, I cut and snap just like this and use a de-buring tool to clean edges...

WYLDGFI

Merchant Member
We have a fletcher substrate cutter which I personally love and would appreciate if my employees used more! Gives a great clean cut on composites. Better than a knife and de-burring tool. I don't like the raised edge the knife cut leaves....and de burring can lead to a bit of a mess.

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
In a pinch you can use the Russian technique
just imagine he is using alumacore:

[video=youtube;20u9L1pxij4]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=20u9L1pxij4[/video]

wayne k
guam usa

Saw Trax

I've cut it by hand in a pinch as well - usually Grimco's house brand Max Metal - though I'm partial to our ACM cutter which fits into our panel saws instead of the circular saw:wink:. Clean cuts, no burs, no curling and no little plastic bits all over the place!
Acm-rollers-200  LO RES.jpg

bob

It's better to have two hands than one glove.
There's only a few ways to separate a solid, glass notwithstanding, into two pieces: Break it, burn it, slice it, transmute it, or saw it come to mind. No doubt there are other ways as well but this is the set that comes to mind.

Sawing is just another way to say 'chipping'. That's all that sawing is, chipping away at something.

Of all the ways, ways that are both reasonable and possible, sawing is the most reliable. The scoring and snapping stunt is exactly that, a stunt. Has anyone ever parted a 4x8 sheet into a pair of 2x8's via scoring and snapping?

When I call my supplier and order a quantity of N x M 3mm Nudo panels, they saw them. Always. Since they cut this material orders of magnitude more often that I do, I'll follow their lead. My shop is organized such that there is a fully equipped wood shop in the next room. I can ease over to my table saw and part a piece of composite with about the same amount of time and effort as the always chancy scoring and snapping. The bits of plastic sawdust fall to my air hose.

No matter how you part a composite sheet, never use a deburring tool on its edges. Rather reform them back to flat by running a piece of brass stock over them. Deburring removes material thus changing the size of the piece. Reforming merely changes its shape back to flat.