• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Need Help What do you use instead of this?

Annette Asberg

Hi
First of all Happy Holidays to you!
And then my question :)
We are doing a lot of work that includes mouthing large and small letters to Gatorfoam, different kinds of plastics, and regular foam.
We use General Formulations Clear Mouting film to do it and it is so extremely time-consuming.
The film is ridiculously sticky and nothing can stick out of the letters.
We were thinking of using some kind of runny glue but one of our employees says that it will not go well with the foam.
Do you do this in another way and in that case how do you do it?
20201229_114438.jpg

Moze

Precision Sign Services
Mask the entire back of the sheet with VHB tape prior to cutting everything out.

CanuckSigns

Look into 3m 468MP its what we use on the back of engraved tags.

Are you applying the tape before you cut the parts or after?

Moze

Precision Sign Services
Not sure why the 'hilarious' rating. I was being serious, unless I'm misunderstanding what you're trying to accomplish. :)

eahicks

Magna Cum Laude - School of Hard Knocks
Not sure why the 'hilarious' rating. I was being serious, unless I'm misunderstanding what you're trying to accomplish. :)
Probably because that would be ridiculously expensive covering with a sheet of VHB. Just cut small pieces if you use VHB. A little goes a long way.

Moze

Precision Sign Services
I guess it depends on what the OP's version of 'doing a lot' means. If it's truly a large amount, the pieces can be nested within a section of the material, full coverage tape can be applied, and the letters can then be cut out resulting in already-applied full coverage application of the tape. It definitely adds to the expense due to the amount of tape being used, but it also saves expense on the labor side....not to mention frustration, etc.

A lot of the letters/materials I receive have full coverage tape for that very reason. It's more cost-effective for some companies to use that method rather than killing valuable time hand cutting everything.

It's an option. Whether it's cost-effective for the OP is another story. Again, depends on what 'doing a lot' really means.

Moze

Precision Sign Services
Yeah, it's definitely expensive, but for some of these companies that are completely filling multiple 4x8 sheets with nested letters/pieces on a regular basis, it's not even a question...its hands down the best approach.

rossmosh

3m 467/468MP is a great choice as others have mentioned. "Tabbing" VHB is another good choice. E6000 adhesive the most cost effective option and is a pretty clean install. Does take 24-48 hours to setup though.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
We get a 48" log of double-sided tape and with the laminator put it on. Be sure to get the correct tape to match your combined surfaces. Saws, routers and CNC machines cut through everytrhing like there's nothing there. The roll is very heavy and needs 2 people to pick it up in the beginning. They're like 440' in length I believe. Not cheap, either.

Annette Asberg

I am very sorry if I offended you :(
We just need a thin layer of adhesive that's why we use General Formulation mounting film.

MikePro

mounting film or contact adhesive. pick your poison.
the only thing that won't work with the foam, is solvents in liquid adhesives that want to eat-away at it.

VHB tape would be overkill, but is sometimes nice to use if you want to have that spacer-effect when layering items.

Still,considering the picture you posted, my best guess your easiest solution is to get one of those adhesive-dot dispensers from an office supply store and just place those little ~1/8" adhesive dots as you see fit while bonding pieces. no backer peeling or cutting through the adhesive required.

Jester1167

Premium Subscriber
For small jobs, we would put 1/2 3M 4941 VHB on some liner and cut it into thin strips. 4941 is easy to transfer from the liner, it is thin but still conforms to slight texture and has a paper liner so it is easier to remove. I can't stand the big box store VHB with the red plastic liner. PITA, which translates into a wast of labor trying to peel it off.

In the past, I have just run a few strips of double-sided tape strategically based on what's being cut and then route. This method only works well with thin clear adhesive. Otherwise, you see the tape from the edges.

Moze

Precision Sign Services
I am very sorry if I offended you :(
We just need a thin layer of adhesive that's why we use General Formulation mounting film.

No offense taken!

Wasn't sure how large your jobs were. The full coverage method can be done with the super thin VHB tape as well.