• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

What is a refresh rate and what does it mean?

ScotJ

Sorry, I've been using mimaki's for a while, but I'm sorta self taught so various terminology I don't have an understanding for.

Could someone explain exactly what the mechanics of this term are - and not just "It refreshs the print nozzles". And on a scale of 1 - 3 what would this mean when adjusting the setting? Is this incremental based on time?

FYI - I use onyx for my rip if it makes a difference.

Rooster

If I'm thinking of the same thing you are, it's how often the firmware tells the machine to perform a nozzle clean when the machine isn't running (powered off but the button is still pulsing green).

I think mine is set for every 4 hours and I'm amazed at how clean the nozzles stay. It's better than my aqueous machines.

iSign

my machine does it's frequent self clean procedure... but when my power is off, I do not get a pulsing green light?

I've never heard the term "refresh rate" except in a flicker adjustment screen for a monitor

PMG

my machine does it's frequent self clean procedure... but when my power is off, I do not get a pulsing green light?

I've never heard the term "refresh rate" except in a flicker adjustment screen for a monitor
Same here Doug...... when its off its off,,when its on in cleans every 6 hours.

iSign

even when it's "off"... mine still cleans every so many hours (I thought it was closer to every hour... but I don't really know) ...but it just doesn't have a green light, pulsing or otherwise... except when it's on.

ScotJ

Well thats a bit different from the refresh rate. Refresh rate is a setting that has something to do with often the head or nozzles refresh while the printer is printing I believe.

What you guys are refering to is the routine cleaning. This can be adjusted on your machine to be as often as hourly, and as rarely as every 48 hours. I can't remember where the setting is on the JV3, but on our JV33 its in the maint. or setup menu I believe.

iSign, do turn your machine off with the master switch at the side or back - or just with the green button on the front?

ChicagoGraphics

My Mimaki self cleans every 55 minutes, and I never got a pulsing green light on the front of the machine while it's turned off. Your suppose to turn just the green button off when done printing, NOT the power switch on the back of the printer.

Big House Signs

On our JV3 we turn off the buttons in the front and it self cleans probably every 55 minutes. The first time it scared the crap out of me and my dogs (ithought they were going to attack the machine!). Made me think of that Steven King story where all the machines come to life and attack the humans!
I have never heard the term "refresh rate" either.
Paula

thewood

I don't get the green blinking light, either. But my machine does the self-cleaning every hour or so.

I think the refresh rate you're referring to ScotJ occurs during printing. Every so many passes, the print head will pause over the capping station, pull some ink through to "recharge" the dampers/printheads. Also, it will run the wiper across the heads. I've never adjusted this, but I think it is profile-specific.

thewood

I don't get the green blinking light, either. But my machine does the self-cleaning every hour or so.

I think the refresh rate you're referring to ScotJ occurs during printing. Every so many passes, the print head will pause over the capping station, pull some ink through to "recharge" the dampers/printheads. Also, it will run the wiper across the heads. I've never adjusted this, but I think it is profile-specific.

DOGraphics

Was that a studddddder?

Rooster

I should have mentioned I have the JV33. The front power button will slowly pulse off and on (green light) when the master power button on the side is still on.

TheSnowman

I haven't shut the master power off since the day it was installed (except to move to our new location, and it still may have stayed on). You can change how often it cleans, but ours is every hour. Don't know if it's default that way, or if the installer set that up. I do know that for the first 3 months I had it, it wanted to do a "fillup" every time I turned it on. I wasted A TON of ink because I had no idea what was going on. Mimaki backed it up after a ton of fighting, and sent me a couple sets of inks.

supergecko28

I do believe that the refresh rate is when your printer pause's mid-print, goes to the capping station, sucks some ink through the lines to re-fill the dampers and keep suction in your ink lines. I think we have all of our's set on 3. It doesnt do it on smaller prints but does it a couple times on larger banners, but I dont think its actually time based because I'v noticed that when a pump starts having problems it will start refreshing more often. Maybe it has something to do with the amount of vacuum pressure in the lines?

*ninja edit* woops, someone already said this, sorry. I didnt read the whole thread first lol

ColesCreations

What Supergecko said...

Refresh is during print. But, same question from me- I have never seen our printer cap and suck during a print, even though refresh rate is at 3...