• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

What is the best Cutter/Plotter for a beginner?

BobM

I have a 30" Roland Camm1 Pro. I purchased it in 2004 and it has been a great piece of equipment! I haven't had any issues. My Sales rep is the best! I would call Tyrrell Tech in NJ

I've been cutting daily for 5 years with my Roland Camm 1 without a single problem.

The Equipment Guy

I have a few for sale, I just finished a road trip and picked up the following...a Summacut 48" $2200 Great Shape, and a Graphtec FC7000-130 (Virtually new, cant see any sign of wear) for $3900. Also have a Mimaki CG160 FX on my website (URL is in my signature)

I think that you might want to run any finds you come across by the folks here, there are some quirks and headaches with some stuff you might find out there.

Craig

Last edited:

thesignguy1986

I have a graphtec, dgi omega and a copam and if you are looking for a good plotter that isn't going to be super expensive I would suggest a Copam. The DGI Omega is an absolute workhorse and a great cutter but the $2200 24" price tag is a little steep and same with graphtec

Drew Designs

I thought those little Cricut machines were made for scrap-booking and such. I peeked at their website and it looks like they want another $70 for software to plot from a PC with those?!?

My first cutter was a Roland STX-8 that I bought gently used for $200. It accepts 12" vinyl, it's very accurate and quiet. Great starter machine. Even came with plotting/design software. Good o' Dr. STIKA :tongue:

I recently upgraded to a larger machine but didn't have the money to buy what I would consider a professional machine such as Roland, Graphtec, Summa, etc.

I ended up getting a US Cutter MH-871 on eBay for about $375. It cuts up to 33" wide vinyl and so far it does what I need it to do. It is quite noisy, has accuracy issues (slightly rounds off 90º corner cuts), and the motherboard has been zapped once so far by static discharge. Luckily I was able to get someone on the phone to send me a replacement board under warranty. The cheaper units like mine use stepper instead of servo motors which is the main reason for my accuracy and noise level complaints about the machine. But, for the price and what I use it for it's better than being limited to 12" rolls of vinyl on the little STX-8.

Lunatic Taskbar

I know people who have had good luck with the US cutters and some with bad luck. Yes they are noisy. yes they can have accuracy issues. If your using it as a stepping stone to get a proper cutter then I would just be aware that the jump in price is significant but the jump in quietness and quality is also significant. You do indeed get what you pay for.

Persoanly I run Graphtec FC7000 30" its a very nice machine. It all comes down to your budget.

Jim Doggett

I thought those little Cricut machines were made for scrap-booking and such.

That is exactly correct. I suspect the Cricut suggestions were a smidge ironic / tongue-in-cheek. Some of the eBay/Chinese cutters are okay to a degree, i.e., if you crash and burn, you limit your losses; if you start doing some business you'll replace it pretty soon.

IMHO,

Jim

thesignguy1986

It all depends on your budget. If your looking to spend a little money like most said a name brand cutter like Graphtec, Summa, or DGI or great but they defintally are a pretty penny for some. As far as a great quality cutter that is cheap that will probably give you the least problems and good to start with theres Copam. It's going to be the best plotter that won't bankrupt you. But look around you may find a deal on a used Mimaki or something.

Fitch

Purchased a Roland PNC1200 in 1996. Still going strong. A cutter needs to do 2 things: 1) Cut accurately
2) Work when you turn it on without fail

the Roland has done this from day 1

Good luck and welcome.

PS I get the machine to work to MY speed - not the other way arround. Either I am slow ( The plotter just cruises ) or it is fast enough for me. But I have NEVER had a plotter running every minute of every day. I plot, weed, app tape whilst the next is cutting. One on - one off.

petrosgraphics

i am sure someone has an old GERBER IV B they will give you... dust it off, i am sure it would still work... just kidding......
stick with any major brand, just in case you need parts..... good luck!

OptimaGraphix

I started years ago with a plotter I bought from Ebay for around $350 (Seiki) 30". Had it for 2 years without any problems. It got me started but it's pretty noisy. A lot of people have complains on this machine but it worked good for me. I cut about 600 car graphics with this machine (about 22" x 115" each) the machine still worked until I upgraded to the Graphtec CE5000-60 for about $1500, huge difference in quality and speed (except the stand which I hate).
Good luck.