• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

what is the furtherst....

Signsforwhile

we are building a room for our edge since its in too much of a shoppy garage area and im sick of practicly ziplocking it every time im not using it. my question is, im going to keep my computer in the same place and the edge would be in a room by itself with the envision plotter. what is the furthest i can run the parralel cable? i hear i need repeaters? any info?

bob

It's better to have two hands than one glove.
Traditional wisdom holds that you can't run a standard vanilla Centronics cable much farther than the 6 feet or so that it is long. No doubt you can take heroic measures with all manner of specialty hardware, but the simple cable all by itself pretty much is limited to 6-10 feet.

JMDigital

I run a 25ft Paralell cable to my CJ500 . no problems... dont know if part of the limit is the type of printer.. You could allways do a Wireless Paralell print server.. ?

The edge book should have some sort of note about cable length tho...

Signsforwhile

yeah i think im gonna thumb through the book tommorow. i was thinking a print server - i guess the same would go for the envision

signage

I have one that came with the used edge 2 I got that is 10 - 15 feet long and working! Its a belkin cable don't know if it was specially made for the edge, but did read either here or on 4edgetalk that the cables for the edges need to be special.

JMDigital

signage said:
I have one that came with the used edge 2 I got that is 10 - 15 feet long and working! Its a belkin cable don't know if it was specially made for the edge, but did read either here or on 4edgetalk that the cables for the edges need to be special.

Now that you mention belkin.. I will say that a 25 ft generic cable and a 25ft belkin hi quality cable are different. The belkin has better shielding for noise.. so I can see if you do get a long cable spend the $$$ for a hi end cable. not a "staples" brand generic $5.00 one..

iSign

Tony Teveris said:
I posted on 4edgetalk but to repeat - DON'T go any further then the cable length.

otherwise, it would be kind of like taking a long walk...

...off a short pier :biggrin: