• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

what is the shelf life of sign gold?

TyrantDesigner

Art! Hot and fresh.
I have a few LARGE rolls of sign gold that i know are over 2 years old ... how long is the shelf life of the adhesive and does anyone know a way to test it for longevity?

mrfern

From my experience in a REDO of a large order where vinyl failed. The vinyl source will sell vinyl they stock for up to 2 years. Then they sell it or dump it. So .. 2 years is when I scrap mine after the fresh date on the vinyl is 2 years passed the date of the vinyl made date. So basically I use it for 4 years. I order fresh vinyl for all new orders and and charge the client for the roll if I have to order a special color so when I dump it is is already paid for and if I get more use of it material cost is a Zero so profit goes up.

Maybe I am on to a freshness indicator on vinyl... Coors did it.. and did it again with a Super Cold promo. LOL

my .02 cents.

HEXIS vinyl works great for me.

mrfern :notworthy:

iSign

they're no good,
please send to Island Sign, Maui Hawaii.. for proper disposal!

(I think sign gold is the stickiest stuff in this industry.. I'd follow Jill's suggestion. Personally, I wouldn't be worried after 4 or 5 years with sign gold)

Jillbeans

...I have used 8 yr old SignGold for my own stuff and it was still OK. Very little tunneling and still sticky. But I don't think I'd use it for a client's job after about 4 years just to CMA, but then again they claim it lasts what...10 years outside? As long as it's been stored in its original box rolled on its big tube I think I'd try it out. Like I said, for your own use tho. I'd do a job on glass because if it did fail it's easier to scrape off.

TyrantDesigner

Art! Hot and fresh.
Signgold said 6 months when I gave them a call which is insane and why I asked here. It's on the original roll ... but it's almost 50 yards of the stuff ... and for the price of sign gold ... i really don't think it will move by the time it will stop being sticky ... but you never know. but with there being a price difference of almost $10 a foot from that and even the reflective I order ... you tend to wonder who would pay for that ... I will hope that a local shop needs some elegant window graphics and I'll sell the materials at cost. (still normal labor though) I'm going to do some tests though to see if it will hold up to conditions ... I have a BAD feeling that this roll is about 6-10 years old.