• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

What is the stupidest thing you did at the shop?

petrosgraphics

years ago, hand lettered a 4x8 sheet of alum. with the clear masking still on it.......

honestly, you could not tell that it was there..... that is my story. and i am sticking to it!!!

Assumed that this machine came on casters like any other machine We have ever received (see attached) and it would be able to be pushed into place.

What a detail overlooked....

8 hours later, 2 forklifts, 6 dolley's and 4 auto jacks we got it in and placed....

That was a fun experience...

Attachments

• b.jpg
    b.jpg
    124.7 KB · Views: 68
  • c.jpg
    c.jpg
    92.4 KB · Views: 58

TheSnowman

I printed two arrows the same, instead of remembering to flip one of them. It wasn't realized until the installer was out in the middle of nowhere, trying to figure out which way to install the sign. You only make that mistake once....at least so far.

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
Assumed that this machine came on casters like any other machine We have ever received (see attached) and it would be able to be pushed into place.

What a detail overlooked....

8 hours later, 2 forklifts, 6 dolley's and 4 auto jacks we got it in and placed....

That was a fun experience...
That is a really large printer - can you drive a van in the back and have it come out the front wrapped?

wayne k
guam usa

Gordy Saunders

Years ago, when I was young and stupid, I had a shop across the street from a bank. One day a Brinks truck pulled into the parking lot of the bank and started unloading money onto a two wheel cart. My office window faced the bank and the door to my office was open out into my parking lot on the side of the building. I happened to have some firecrackers. I lit them and threw them out into my parking lot. The Brinks guys hit the deck prone and drew their weapons. I shut my office door and locked it and hide in the back of the shop until the coast was clear. Scared the hell out of myself. I really don't know what was going through my head at that time to pull such a stupid prank.

Flubber

Years ago, when I was young and stupid, I had a shop across the street from a bank. One day a Brinks truck pulled into the parking lot of the bank and started unloading money onto a two wheel cart. My office window faced the bank and the door to my office was open out into my parking lot on the side of the building. I happened to have some firecrackers. I lit them and threw them out into my parking lot. The Brinks guys hit the deck prone and drew their weapons. I shut my office door and locked it and hide in the back of the shop until the coast was clear. Scared the hell out of myself. I really don't know what was going through my head at that time to pull such a stupid prank.
:U Rock::U Rock::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Flubber

when i first started in this biz i was pulling the transfer paper off of a 4x8 sign i just lettered and i still had the exacto knife in my hand, well for some freaking reason the paper tore and i stabbed myself in the neck.....only made that mistake once.....:doh::doh:

Last edited:

Baz

Received a Honda Element one morning and had to apply perforated vinyl on the back window. Busted the window while i was removing the wiper :doh:. Immediately called my glass repair guy and he confirmed that he could drop by during the day and replace it ... Informed my client about what hapened and he said no problem, i will be at your shop after i finish work .. by the time the client picked up his car .. The new window was installed and the perf was applied ... Still had tape holding the glass in place when he drove off! That was last year and since then i have seen him a few times and the window is still ok :clapping:

P.S. i didn't make any money on that job :ROFLMAO:

"Deposit Please"

I had 2 good sized hi-res prints that was laminated sitting on table ready for customer pickup the very next day. We had another order from a different customer of just simple cut out vinyl. I placed the vinyl on top of the prints and left it there overnight. I came back next morning to weed the vinyl and trimmed the unwanted backing. I then, picked up the vinyl to place it on our other table to apply application tape. I realized the prints under the vinyl were all cut up into pieces from the trimming i did with the vinyl. Sure enough, the customer for the prints showed up 5 minutes later to pick them up. His 2 big prints became 8 small prints that was all chopped up. Oh, it was only about 90 degrees in our shop with 100 percent humidity too.

inthesignbiz

The stupidest thing?
You know those people that become sky divers because they have a fear of heights?
Being dyslexic and color blind, I'm kinda like that in the sign business.

Printed shirts for a Sping retreat.
Printed koozies with the phone numbers out of order.

We have a wall of shame. You know, too big or too small or too many.
A constant reminder to proof everything before it goes into production.
Thank my heavens that none of the mistakes got out the door (so far).

I work with my wife which is a good thing as she was a teacher and excellent speller.
Saves my bacon all the time!

Dyslexics Untie!

signage

What I would like to know is why do we usually notice these mistakes while item is printing, we are weeding or right before the customer arrives to pick them up?

bob

It's better to have two hands than one glove.
Dyslexics Untie!

Dyslexics are more fun than a barrel of gibbons.

A bumper sticker for a new dyslexic support group: "DAM" [Mothers Against Dyslexia] may be a seller in your village.

Or the dyslexic devil worshiper that sold his soul to Santa.

Or the dyslexic agnostic insomniac that stayed awake nights wondering if there was a dog.

Seriously though, if a dyslexic is indeed dyslexic, what's the actual problem? If some always sees stuff scrambled, so what? If it's consistent then it should make perfect sense to the afflicted party.

Not much different than if your color sensing tackle were scrambled such that you see red as green and vice versa. So what? Something red might appear green to you but it's still red to everyone else.

It would be impossible, or at least extremely difficult, to actually explain just what it is you see when you view something labeled as red. The transposition is in your mind, not in the external reality. You have absolutely no idea if what you actually see when you look at something labeled 'blue' is what anyone else sees.

Conclusion: Dyslexics like to whine. If you see stuff scrambled, deal with it.

Sign_Boy

Conclusion: Dyslexics like to whine. If you see stuff scrambled, deal with it.

Wow Bob who who peed in your cornflakes?

Tell that to a little kid that's just learning to read - write - count or just about anything else.
Sure as an adult you can learn to adjust and figure things out but a kid that has no idea what's what - come on now :banghead::banghead:

BobM

Was having some problems with bubbles and dust. Cleaned, vacumed, wiped down the entire shop. Decided to wet apply just to be perfect, grabbed the Rapid Remove instead of the Rapid Tac II. No bubbles, but lots of gooooey stuff.

Marlene

Stupidest thing I did at the shop was cut off my right index finger. I miss that digit.....

eeek!

stupid thing I did was to not throw the milk crate full of stuff for lettering a window and save myself from falling. I stepped on a rock and rode it like a surfboard until it found a flat spot and dumped me. instead of throwing the crate, I clutched it close to me, fell on it, bruised my ribs and broke my leg. I then was stupid enough to walk around on the broken leg thinking I sprained my ankle for 5 days until someone smarter than me forced me to go the ER.

GP

today?

Just had the graphtec set to "sheet" and unloaded a 50 yard roll onto the floor.

d'oh!