• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

What kind of material is this sign board?

Stacey K

I like making signs
Exterior, 1/4" thick. Current panels appear to be quite old...at least 10 years old and a solid core which is light colored. Only 1 of several boards needs to be replaced (logo changed) so I would like it to use something with a lighter core...any thoughts? Will need 2 panels 4'x8'. Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_6138.jpeg
    IMG_6138.jpeg
    367.6 KB · Views: 297

Billct2

There was a composite panel that used a wood core, never tried it myself. If the edge doesn't matter you could use alumalite(coro core)

Jester

Slow is Fast
Hard to tell in the photo on my phone, but it kinda looks like plywood with a melamine-face. Standard cabinet maker stuff.

jimbug72

Maybe it's White Wood?

Edited to note: Jut re-read and noticed the 1/4" part. It looks like plywood from the picture, but I can't recall seeing a 1/4" plywood signboard, but I've not been at this as long as most here. Would 5mm Alumacorr be a viable substitute?

Last edited:

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Duraply..... or what is referred to as MDO today comes in 1/4" but it's only finished one side and warps like crazy. Even 3/8" will most likely warp. It does look like plies in there, but if you don't know for sure, just use a piece of 6mm ACM, as mentioned. At least it will remain flat.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Honestly, I thought that crap was discontinued years ago.

It delaminates like crazy in no time at all. At least in these areas it did. Regardless of how much you treat the edges, unless you put capping/edge cap over it..... and even then the moisture gets behind it it just falls apart in no time. Be very careful when using that stuff. I stopped getting it 20 years ago, cause it was worthless back then. The acm products basically took it's place.

Billct2

I thought scooter board had a more paint-like finish, maybe polyester, like shower board. lusterboard has a thin aluminum face