• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

What material should we use and where can we get large sheets of it?

Joe Diaz

Ok, so it's getting close to that time of year. Haunted house season. For the past year we have had a great attraction built into our haunt. It's a vortex tunnel that we built on top of an old boat trailer so that we can move it around and store it. For those not familiar with a vortex tunnel, it's a giant spinning tunnel that people walk through. The spinning tunnel throws off your balance and it's a popular attraction.

The aluminum frame that makes up the tunnel bolts together and comes apart for storage and for the past 6 years or so we have wrapped the frame with a black fabric connected to to it with zip ties. This year we are thinking of trying something new. The problem with the fabric is when ever it rains, which it does often here in October, the fabric soaks up the rain water, gets extremely heavy and the motor that turns the tunnel has a hard time moving that extra weight. So we were thinking something a bit more water proof. I like the idea of thin aluminum, but we worry that it will be too heavy, so we were thinking coroplast? Maybe even banner material.

Here's the problem. We need 12 sheets of material that are larger than 9'6" and 5'3" in order to span the distance between the framework.

So my question is, do any of you know of a place to order black coroplast sheets larger than those dimensions? (our vendors don't have it available that large) or do any of you recommend a different material? Keep in mind it needs to be light, waterproof and preferably black.

WP_20140906_001 - Copy.jpg

TimToad

Whenever I look into getting oversized sheets of Coro, the minimum quantities are always ridiculously high.

Christian @ 2CT Media

Not if you get .060 it's lighter then coroplast.

You can also look into Styrene... alot of plastics companies have it on hand in white and black.

John Butto

awning co

Find an awning company, show them the rough and pick out a black material, you can screw the track on. They will understand and help you with any problems. Slide the material on, tie off at ends. When finished with show, slide out fold up for next year, will last forever. Awning companies do this all the time.

Attachments

• vortex.jpg
    vortex.jpg
    49 KB · Views: 80

round man

+1 ON BILLCT'S Suggestion,...an old billboard banner could very well be the answer providing that you can attach it properly,...

bob

It's better to have two hands than one glove.
It looks like you need a piece of material ~19'x32'. Go to a farm supply and pick up a hay tarp. They're at least that large and they have grommets installed. Usually they come in silver or black.