• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

What NOT to do when Selling a 4x8 sign and installing it....

skyhigh

About 10 years ago, is when we implemented a clause in our contracts that addresses rocks (& unforeseen problems out of our control). Here are a couple pics from the job that led to that change.

Like Addie, we started out with our post hole diggers, along with a "two man" gas auger and bars. After our initial "fail" (2-1/2 hours later), we returned to the shop to get the jack hammer. We worked another 4 hours (thinking soon we would break thru), only to give up the battle for the day.

The next day we brought down the Kubota backhoe, thinking we could dig around the rocks (and a couple old sign pillars)......fail again. The third day, we brought in an excavator and trailer to remove everything.

While this job was on the "extreme", rocky soil is the norm in my area. Welcome to PA.
Like Baz, we would try to bring everything......but sometimes "everything" still isn't enough. :Big Laugh

Attachments

• Rock.jpg
    Rock.jpg
    62 KB · Views: 48
  • RocklandView.jpg
    RocklandView.jpg
    126.8 KB · Views: 81

skyhigh

PS. A site survey isn't going to help determine how your "Dig" is going to go. While I liked Addie's idea of using the rehbar to search for rocks, it wouldn't help much around here, as our minimum hole depth is going to be 3ft for the frost line. Most of our type of installs would have started out at 4ft -6ft (plus).

Site surveys (for this purpose) are like looking at the ocean. The surface may be calm.....doesn't mean there isn't a great white swimming right below.

Mike Paul

Super Active Member
Rookie mistakes.
Probably forgot your sunscreen too...

Rule 13

Charge double for a Sunday install.

Locals Find!

Addie...you do know that posts come in different lengths, don't you?

My local lowes doesn't stock the 10 foot 4x4s. So they would have been special order. If I had to do this job again. I would have gone with 10ft u-channels instead.

One thing i've learned from doing many installations. Load up expecting the worst!!! If you don't know the site, if you haven't had a look at the place. You bring everything with you.

Good Advice

Charge double for a Sunday install.

Also, good advice, just this time I chose the sunday as it was the only day I had available when It wasn't going to be storming that weekend. Every install this time of year is weather permitting.