• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

What on earth vinyl does this? holy %$%$

gabagoo

I have stripped off 5 trucks for this company so far and this is the last vehicle... None of them used this particular red vinyl. It is a 2ml but I also think it is one of those types with the white back. You can see that with me using a steamer and a plastic blade it leaves 100% of a grey adhesive behind. This is going to be a long day!!!

ps... I bet it is an Avery vinyl yuck

Attachments

• IMG_0765.jpg
    IMG_0765.jpg
    47.7 KB · Views: 531
  • IMG_0766.jpg
    IMG_0766.jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 533

DerbyCitySignGuy

Yikes! That stinks. The only time I've ever seen anything remotely similar (lots of adhesive left behind) was a shop using non-wrap vinyls. No idea what brand it was. Usually with a permanent adhesive.

Good luck.

Moze

Precision Sign Services
Just a suggestion: get some plastic sheeting, spray the residue with Rapid Remover or similar, lay the plastic sheeting over it and let it sit. Do the same to the rest of the doors, then come back to the first and hopefully by then it will have loosened up enough to easily remove it.

gabagoo

getting the glue off is not a problem...the vinyl has a grey adhesive and is near impossible to remove without any heat or steam. Steam seems better than heat gun as with the heat gun the vinyl gets all gummy mixed with the adhesive and just moves somewhere else on the truck. I have one side and the rear done although it has taken 90 minutes so far...Glue will be another 20 minutes or so, then attack the other side.... I find it draining to do

DerbyCitySignGuy

getting the glue off is not a problem...the vinyl has a grey adhesive and is near impossible to remove without any heat or steam. Steam seems better than heat gun as with the heat gun the vinyl gets all gummy mixed with the adhesive and just moves somewhere else on the truck. I have one side and the rear done although it has taken 90 minutes so far...Glue will be another 20 minutes or so, then attack the other side.... I find it draining to do

Didn't MacTac switch to a gray adhesive a couple years ago?

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
Wouldn't this be a perfect job for Rapid Remover? Spray, wait 60 seconds, wipe off and finish with soap and water or even just alcohol.

shoresigns

because when there is a glue problem, first on the list is check for avery...
I've never had an issue with Avery's removable adhesive products, i.e. all their vehicle vinyls.

Obviously you're going to have issues if vinyl with permanent adhesive was used, or the super-strength adhesive that virtually all reflective vinyls use.

Looks like old Avery reflective to me! Avery reflective had (has?) gray adhesive.
Avery HV1100 used to have gray permanent adhesive. Now it's clear permanent.

gabagoo

The vinyl is definetely a 2ml product with a grey blockout adhesive. Must have been something the other shop who did it had hanging around as all other trucks re done this month only had a 2ml normal red.

Vander....you need to remove the vinyl before applying rapid remover, which I have done on the other side and the rear...although you have to apply it about 3 times as the adhesive layer is pretty thick. Then one last spray to totally clear everything. Shop smells like a Tropicana plant.

zillion29

Some Avery 2 mil vinyls randomly have a grey adehesive. Spectra Red looks like the culprit. How old was that install? Maybe from the aborted Avery 800 Series days when literally everything they made was a disaster?

SignosaurusRex

AVERY 900 series (and old 800 series) "Fire Red" and "Spectra Red", as well as FDC "Fire Red" have a Gray adhesive. They both leave the adhesive behind like that. The old SPARCAL that Avery bought out also had Gray adhesive on some colors.

gabagoo

AVERY 900 series (and old 800 series) "Fire Red" and "Spectra Red", as well as FDC "Fire Red" have a Gray adhesive. They both leave the adhesive behind like that. The old SPARCAL that Avery bought out also had Gray adhesive on some colors.

Yup I think your correct.... Next to reflective, that stuff has to be about the worst to remove.

MelloImagingTechnologies

Many years in the Production Business
I have seen several of my friends remove the old vinyl quickly by using a boat shrink wrap torch to heat up large areas fast.
Then they spray down with Rapid Remover and it’s clean quick