• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

What printer for the hobbyist which got enough of L25500?

ikarasu

The head is likely recoverable.... Depending on how long it's been sitting.

But you'll likely need new ink lines if they're clogged... I believe new cap tops / and a slew of other things.

It's not impossible to get it working, but I'm not familiar with the machine... And the general advice is that it's not worth the effort unless you know what you're doing and willing to spend the time and money on getting it up and running.

FrankW

I know what you mean. I can imagine that the colours on epson are great but from what I can see it cant print on roll media nor the vinyls at all. Just paper or photo paper. Correct me if I'm wrong. I also might need to print on clear vinyl in the future so White might be interesting add-on even if not needed at the moment.
No. You need specially coated media, thats true, but they print not only on paper.

White is the same problem as with metallic: high pigmented inks which makes a lot of problems if not used frequently. And, the density of solvent white ink is not very satisfying.

You have a lot of ideas which will not match your print volume ;)

ikarasu

I had a few diff latexs and then went solvent due to not liking the wasted 2 ft of material everytime I printed. My volume was low, so I got rid of it and went with a solvent.

I loved the solvent - nice prints, could print by wasting only 10" (I don't wear gloves, so if I print right at the edge I got hand marks), it was nice... But I really, really hate waiting 6 hours to laminate. It pretty much means I have to print one day and laminate the next.

90% of my orders are online, and I've become so busy that waiting a day is more of a pain than wasting a few bucks in material. Replying to this post made me realize that! And im going to be selling my Epson and going back to latex.

Both are great technologies. But since you've already used latex, you should really look up and compare them and see if moving away from latex is right for you.

You mentioned a lot of reprints to make sure the size fits perfectly... Would you be ok waiting at least a few hours after every print to do your sizing?

Not trying to convince you one way or the other, as I said... I like both technologies. I used to hate solvent be sure if a head dies you're out a few grand. But that's not so bad... I was.coming from a 8 head printer and had a realllllly bad 40k fix experience... I now know that was out of the norm, but even so, having user replaceable heads is a bonus to me.

As for the inkjet printers. I think most arcades are printed with inkjet... You get much, much higher quality printing on an object than you do on a solvent or latex. Think of an inkjet like your desktop printer... It's photo quality with no grainyness at all.

It can print on vinyl as mentioned, but the vinyl is a bit more expensive since it's a special vinyl.

Metallic and white inks -. My understanding is the metallic is more like a muddied silver... And it's rated for a few months only. As mentioned... White ink on solvents also isn't that good. Unless you're printing them every single day and have a niche use for them, they're not worth it.

have you done a cost.comparrison on how much it costs you to do your own vinyl? I know it seems expensive to outsource, but i think it'd be way cheaper unless you're restoring a dozen arcades a week.

There's nothing wrong with printing in house to have more control of your product, but 99.9% of the time in use cases like yours... You save a ton of money outsourcing. Heck .. there's a lot of people on here who's main job it is to sell vinyl and they outsource thousands of sqft a month, and still find that cheaper than buying a machine and upkeeping it.

So it might be smart to take a step back and see if replacing your printer is really worth it, especially since it seems to be working and you.only want to switch it to save cost on material / maintenance... But every single printer you buy will have compatible costs for upkeep... So spending a few grand on a new printer to save a few bucks on media seems counter productive

Humble PM

If I'm lucky, one day I'll be a Eudyptula minor
I print a fair amount of vinyl on my aqueous Canon, most of it laminated, some of it contour cut with a little Graphtec. Gamut and quality is absolutely photographic. Yes, there are fewer material options than for the latex/uv machines, but the cost of the (for example) Canon IJM538 is a hundred pounds for 20mx36". The latest Canon 44" are relatively tiny, and they do the vast majority of maintenance for you.

Chris Formela

You are not making the choice any easier guys :) but I really appreciate your input.

I start taking large photo printer under the consideration. Are there any other models then mentioned epson sc-p9000 that would allow me printing on roll vinyl (suitable) media?

EDIT: I've just check the inkjet vinyl cost and seems to be acceptable as well as the inks, specially if I waste less media than when using solvent/latex. Price of the printer (P8000/9000) is also 50% lower.
What would be the cons and potential problems/disadvantages that I could approach comparing to solvent printer?
Please keep mind that I'll be laminating the prints.

Last edited:

Humble PM

If I'm lucky, one day I'll be a Eudyptula minor
I can only speak from the Canon side of things (other than a very specially adapted old Epson). You don't have to use a rip with the 9000, but I hate the odd occasion when I've had to print from PS or illustrator, rather than using a rip (though I print on a very wide range of media for a wide range of clients), but I suspect you're going to running on a far smaller set of media.

I'm not aware of any cast media that'll run through aqueous - not sure if this'll be an issue from the durability and shrinkage side for what your're doing. I can imagine that you're looking for the work you produce to be in tact for the long term - that might be in favour of latex/solvent, if you need a vehicle grade of finish?

Chris Formela

I can only speak from the Canon side of things (other than a very specially adapted old Epson). You don't have to use a rip with the 9000, but I hate the odd occasion when I've had to print from PS or illustrator, rather than using a rip (though I print on a very wide range of media for a wide range of clients), but I suspect you're going to running on a far smaller set of media.

I'm not aware of any cast media that'll run through aqueous - not sure if this'll be an issue from the durability and shrinkage side for what your're doing. I can imagine that you're looking for the work you produce to be in tact for the long term - that might be in favour of latex/solvent, if you need a vehicle grade of finish?
I've been reading and watching videos about p9000 for last couple of hours and I'm really impressed by the quality of prints and simplicity of use/maintenance. Unfortunately, shrinking might be a problem.
I'm not planning to do prints larger than 70x150cm but I guess there will be good few millimetres of shrinkage after the years. I'll check if there is any cast vinyl (inkjet ready) available in the UK.
Also Inkjet vinyls seem to be significantly thicker. 80-120mic

P.S. Most of the dye vinyls that I've found are matt (thin ones at least) does it make a difference if I'm going to laminate it with gloss anyway?

Last edited:

Chris Formela

My vote is stick with latex and go for a 115 or 310
Out of curiosity... any particular problems/disadvantage with water base when it comes to game vinyls? Why did you change to latex/eco-sol?

Why would you choose latex over eco-sol? I had a look on L310. It's within my budget but I'm not sure if I want another latex hp.

Last edited:

ikarasu

HP is your onlymoption for latex. You could get an Epson resin... Which is pretty much latex, but it'd be above your budget... And it's new, so I'd stay away.

310 isn't bad... But imo, pick up a used 560... They're everywhere out there and cheap.

Pigment ink isn't really UV proof... Or water proof... Since your laminating I don't know why it'd be bad for arcades other than material costs quite a bit more. But pigment also needs to be ran pretty much everyday or the heads dry out...

Chris Formela

No white or metallic at that latex printers.
Yes. I'm aware of that. White and metallic was just the bonus option for me. Colours, easy of use, running cost and cheap maintenance are most important. Cutting would be very nice too.

At the moment, I've just purchased P7000 off ebay for £250 with spare inks :) It's not big enough but for that price I could not take it just to play with it. I might print few posters, family photos and sell it if its not needed anymore. Might be handy for stickers too.

I'm now completely torn between latex and eco-sol. I'll probably wait for my friend to give me his VS-420. If it can be fixed then great. Ill see how it works for me. If not I'll most likely go for CJV-150 or make some more search on newer HP's latex. Really need to find out how they have improved compared to my l25500.

classicgameswi

Out of curiosity... any particular problems/disadvantage with water base when it comes to game vinyls? Why did you change to latex/eco-sol?

Why would you choose latex over eco-sol? I had a look on L310. It's within my budget but I'm not sure if I want another latex hp.

Even laminated, you will get blurring from changes in humidity over time from the ink not being water proof. Also the media choices and quality are very poor and expensive for water base printers.

Eco-sol heads require constant maintenance, and ink waste. If you are having issues keeping latex heads working with your volume, solvent will be worse, and when they clog are much more expensive to replace, nor are they easy to replace. Stick with latex

Chris Formela

Well... I've done some research and looks like HP Latex 115 is really printer for me. Someone mentioned on one of the videos that I can be left completely turned off even for few weeks without damage to the printheads. Unfortunately, they quite hard to find 2nd hand.

I'll be still playing with the VS-420 once received and my newly purchased SC-P7000.
Meantime, I've found the reason of my problems with L25500. Checked the maintenance unit today and it was massively flooded due to fallen-off rubbers (3 out of 6) that secure the heads from drying. I'm currently waiting for maintenance unit rebuild kit and will try to use the printer until nicely priced 115 appear (315 as a plan B).
If someone is familiar with L25500 and Digital Factory, Ill be grateful for any advice how to configure the profiles etc.

Once again - thank you for all! :notworthy:

classicgameswi

Two tricks to avoid media waste with latex, turn the cutter off and leave the last print in the printer till the next job and cut off by hand.

Or tape an old scrap on and feed only a few inches out past where it starts to print if you cant wait till the next job. This will avoid massive media waste on expensive materials

ikarasu

Don't buy a used latex printer. The 115 is a throw away, buy it new if that's your pick.
Curious what makes you.think the 115 is a throw away? 99% of the parts are the same as the 315, and I'd say it's built roughly the same.

Granted latexs are more plasticy than it's counter parts... But they still last a pretty long time.