• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

what size posts for a 108" by 60" sign?

TopFliteGraphics

A new customer wants to have there 108" * 60" (9' * 5') signs mounted on wood posts elevated to 5' off the ground (10' overall height). Before I submit revised pricing to them and plans for permitting, I wanted to see what size posts you guys think I will need and if additional bracing will be required for stability and permitting.

Thoughts?

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Ahhhh....... single or double sided ??
Also, what material do you intend to make the 5' x 9' from ??

rossmosh

You're the designer, aren't you? Draw it out proportionally and see what looks best.

My guess is 5x5 will look satisfactory and ideally something like a 6x6 will look "right". It's not uncommon to use a 5x5 post and then build onto the post with panels which can be routed to add a decorative element. Also I'd run a cross beam between the two posts. Maybe even two. I don't believe signs should be treated as structure. They are decoration. Build a sound structure and mount your sign to it.

TopFliteGraphics

They are single sided "burma shave" signs touting a new community and its features. The signs are 3mm aluminum composite bond with full color PSA vinyl. I plan on using two posts and (3) 2*4 cross beams between the posts for mounting and stability of the sign. My main concern is with the 10' overall height do I need to worry about wind load. Will a set of 4*4 posts with 24" ground penetration and concrete with the posts be enough or will I need to send out some legs for additional stability. Or do I need thicker posts and more depth of ground penetration?

Basically, I am trying to make sure my plans don't get rejected during the permitting process plus I need to make sure I price them out with the addition materials and labor since the customer changed the height of the sign versus my original quote.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Around here, 24" in the ground will never work. We go down 38" for temporary signs and use cement with more permanent signs.

4" x 4"s should work. It all depends on your... or your customer's eye for aesthetics. Perhaps a 4" x 6" would work better, while giving a little more strength.

I'd put the posts about 7' or 8' apart and run 2 stringers horizontally across the back. Then the post don't hafta go all the way to the top. Use at least 1/4" ACM or 10mm if you can swing it cost-wise.

rjssigns

4x4's ain't gonna cut it. Wind load on that sign would be 1350lbs. Calculated @ 30lbs per sq. ft. for conditions in Wisconsin. I'm sure your base loading is much higher.

Billct2

If I was using wood, 6"x6", it needs the strength and will look better.
Here they'd be 3' in the ground

signage

This is not something you want to guess what size! This is why more and more places/municipalities are requiring engineering stamp and drawings!

TopFliteGraphics

How does this look?

Attachments

• burma shaves sign construction detail revised 2-12-16.jpg
    burma shaves sign construction detail revised 2-12-16.jpg
    26.7 KB · Views: 83

ChaseO

Premium Subscriber
In my opinion, you need to bring your posts inside of the 108" Make the post around 7' apart or so and run your 2x4s vertical instead of the horizontal you have shown.

I mean flat against the posts instead of turned sideways in between em.