• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

What thickness of acrylic for 5'x6' with 1" spacers

Stacey K

I like making signs
I have a job for 2 acrylic signs sized at 5' x 6' and they will have 1" spacer from the wall.

Is 1/4" correct?
How many spacers - one on each corner and one on each side centered?

My first time doing this so I'm not sure how stiff or flexible this is at that size. Thank you!

Notarealsignguy

Arial - it's almost helvetica
I do a lot of these at 48x32 and use 6 standoffs. I think you would need more for this size. Lay it out and put gray circles the same size as your standoffs and see how it looks. Too few will look as bad as too many

Moze

Precision Sign Services
1/4" or 3/8" is fine.

Six standoffs is plenty.

Personally, I appreciate when there's a center standoff. If the installer is by him/her self, they can easily measure and determine where on the wall that top center anchor needs to be. Install that anchor, lift and hang the sign on that, level the panel and mark your other holes.

A better option is a cardboard or Coroplast template. It's a whole lot easier than trying to hold a heavy panel in place while marking the holes.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
I trust this is inside ?? If so, your calculations should be fine. Three top, three bottom and one on each side. 8 all total. Are you doing clear ??

Stacey K

I like making signs
Yes, these are for inside a boardroom. Yes, clear with the logo printed on contour cut vinyl in the center. The customer is going to install but I said I would include the spacers.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Consider this. Applying your graphics on the backside and using non-glare clear. Inside you will get glare from everything from lights to windows to just opening and closing doors and shifting light around. Non-glare will stop that 100%.

We just did one, but it had 3/4" relief letters in on it. It was 40" x 78". We used 3 spacers top and 3 bottom. That was plenty, but yours is almost double that.

brdesign

Drill the holes for the stand-offs a little oversized to give some wiggle room on the installation. Too much tension between the mounts can cause the sheet to crack, I learned this the hard way years ago.
For most 1" diameter stand-offs I use a .5" hole. Also a stepped drill bit works great to drill acrylic without cracking it.

Stacey K

I like making signs
Hmmm...maybe I better ask which spacers to get. It's drywall. Is this correct? - Gino, I like the idea of the non-glare

1649877106191.png

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Yeah, we never use the ones provided when buying those things. I guess they're Okay, but I like heavier ones for better sleep at night.

Billct2

Why is that just about every piece of hardware you buy, even supposedly professional grade, comes with crap fasteners

Stacey K

I like making signs
Thanks everyone you make me look like
I know what I’m doing [emoji23] what you are saying makes sense, I also thought they didn’t look very strong!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk