• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

What to do with older/obsolete printers

Mpuks

Our shop decommissioned our solvent printers (Vutek UltraVu II 3360 and 150) something like 5 or 6 years ago when we switched over to latex. The 3360 has since been sold off (within the first year if I recall correctly), but the 150 is still here years later taking up space and I'd like to get rid of it, preferably without costing us money. Obviously the classified section on this site is one option, as well as listing/parting out on ebay, and I know of several used equipment sites; what I'm wondering is if it is even worth the effort to list it on here or somewhere else, or if anyone has any other ideas about what can be done with it.

balstestrat

Problem Solver
Most times when you buy a new one the reseller can offer you a tradein for the old printer. You can get couple grand for it.

Billct2

I've traded in dead obsolete printers, sometimes they just want the motherboard. But the last few I've bought were used/refubs so no trade ins.
I have sold them on craigslist/ebay.

Mpuks

I'm not even sure who I'd trade this thing in with; had a good laugh with the last sales rep that was here when I inquired about the possibility. The machine is only here because of (in my opinion) poor management by whoever's responsibility it was to take care of in the past. Which is a shame because the thing is built like a tank. So taking out the electronics etc and listing on ebay (maybe here too?) seems like the best bet. Our 3360 ended up in Dubai if I recall correctly.

If nothing else, it's 2000-3000lbs of steel scrap.

ColorCrest

All around shop helper.
if anyone has any other ideas about what can be done with it.
Call Vutek and your dealer to ask them. Then report back here when you learn how much of a "green" company they are. Really. Would be interested to know. (They brought them into this world, right?)

CanuckSigns

Roland and HP run promos sometimes where they take your old printer in any condition and offer you like $5000 off a new machine, might be worth it then, or if you aren't buying a printer, I'm sure someone who is would take it off your hands if ots going to save them $5000.

Mpuks

Taking this in another direction (perhaps it is better to start a new thread for this, apologies if so); is anyone aware of any companies or such that offer retrofit/conversion options for older high-end printers?

netsol

Premium Subscriber
but isn't that like the kmart or kohls sale, where a $50 item becomes an $80 item so they can give a generous discount?