• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

What to use to cut aluminum sheets length wise?

With the new year we are moving into a larger space next month. We will have a 2900 sq ft shop(bay area) as well as 1700 sq ft for printers ,office and embroidery equipment.
My local supplier is sometimes a hassle to get aluminum sheets cut length wise. already have a stomp shear and table saw in my race sop at home ad plan to move them to th new business location. What other piece on equipment would be best to cut aluminum ?

rjssigns

Plasma cutter and straight edge. As long as you keep up on your consumables they cut fantastic.

player

What gauge and hardness of aluminum?

If it is thin enough you can score it with a carpet knife and fold it.

I am assuming .063 and .080 aluminum most likely if your using a foot stomp. Get a pneumatic shear. 10 foot length. This is going to be your best bet. While you can get perfect cuts with plasma or some type of saw. Anything besides a shear that you use will take inches off your aluminum. The blade has to cut pieces. So say you have a 48x96 piece of aluminum and you need a 36"x96" piece. If you cut with a saw you will be left over with a 17.5" or so by 96" piece. Now you can't use that other piece to make a 18" sign. If you used a shear you loose no metal in the cutting process so your able to fully use any piece of aluminum.

Saw Trax

We offer a SawTrax branded TCG (Triple Chip Grind) blade with our panel saws for cutting aluminum. Also, since our panel saws use a 7.25" blade, there are a lot of blade options available from a variety of companies that are compatible with our panel saws.