• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

What Vinyl to use, help pls

If the Windows are really cold he may need to heat them up with a torch before applying. The Cold Air and the Wet Application is a hard combination. Maybe have him try Applying the Vinyl and then letting it sit on the Window for a bit before removing the Transfer tape.

DL Signs

Never go against the family
We are using 40C-114R for reverse decal and my installer is trying to wet apply. It is coming off as he is working on it, vs IJ180CV3-10 or 7125 which are OK. Are we using the wrong material or the wrong technique?
Wet applying anything with air release channels is a no-no, they're dry application only, and don't need it. Liquid gets trapped in those air release channels and causes all kinds of issues, and usually fails quicker. Vinyl can be laid in cold weather, but even the right vinyl for a wet install can be problematic, wet and cold don't like to play well together with anything.

ozpall

Most is indoor, but I'll check to see if recent decals were on exterior doors. It's cold here. What's your take on the transfer tape? Some of this is contour cut letters so really can't work well without it. The installer really prefers wet apply. Are there better vinyls for that than the 40C, if he continues to have issues?

can you show us a sample of the graphics you are installing? can you use regular color cut vinyl? that would be the best for cut letters and you would install wet and use transfer tape. I don't install under 40*

guillermo

Hello Everyone,
I have a customer that wants me to replace the graphics they currently have, (pic attached for ref)
what's there right now feels like a window cling mounted on the inside of the windows, not sure how long its been there as its falling to pieces if you touch it.
so my question is what material should i use, inside facing window cling? I'm concern about durability as customer keeps them for a long time. i would normally tell the customer to go with vinyl/perf on the outside but the windows are pretty big and if you look at the picture there is like a basement so i don't even have ladders that big. i've done tons of window installations but always on the outside mostly perf.
any help is much appreciate it.
thanks,

Oscar.
I keep an eye on the forum, but did not see this before.

without reading some of the suggestions, I was going to tell you that one of the best options is to print reverse on clear adhesive and then apply regular white vinyl to use it as white background, I did it with some stickers to have text on both sides and be able to install inside the glass door, that way you see the same text coming in or out, that was my first recommendation, but I see that some people already was thinking the same way, but also, you guys let me know that the white adhesive should be "laminated" to the clear, (I was going to install the clear and then install the white, double the job) thank you all for your tricks and experience, we all learn.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
If the Windows are really cold he may need to heat them up with a torch before applying. The Cold Air and the Wet Application is a hard combination. Maybe have him try Applying the Vinyl and then letting it sit on the Window for a bit before removing the Transfer tape.

Ya know, I've read where other people have heated up glass windows or doors, even inside and most of them ended up with shattered glass. In my opinion this is a really bad idea, even for a professional.

Ya know, I've read where other people have heated up glass windows or doors, even inside and most of them ended up with shattered glass. In my opinion this is a really bad idea, even for a professional.
We have never had that issue. I can see that happening if you don't know how to gradually heat the windows and only ever so slightly. But I will keep that in mind when it comes to training our installers.

ozpall

yeah i had a customer in December in chicago that wanted me to install vinyl on his windows, i told him it was too cold but he insisted that i use a heat gun to warm up the glass, i told him no thank you. besides its too cold for the vinyl it will eventually fail.