• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

what would you do serious question

GoodPeopleFlags

You're not out a $1600 roll of vinyl. Either you can send it back to your supplier or you will use it on other jobs. You want to be greedy and look for a way to keep all his money? Go right ahead and have a good night's sleep on that. Do what you feel is right.
:noway:

TwoNine

This is ridiculous. You can't keep the whole thing just because you want to. I'm not buying for a second the 1600 dollar price tag. I'm calling BS.

Give the man his money back. Keep (I was about to write 'What you deserve' - But that is apparently not going to work here) - So. Bill out your hour or whatever - return the roll - give the guy his cash and move on. This is crazy and I really can't believe you'd have the balls to do it any other way.

It's this kind of treatment that leave the general public leary of professionals in creative services industries. This is just plain sad.

-Chad

TwoNine

Besides - and maybe I'm wrong here - could use some help or verification, but isn't IJ8171 a temp film? If so - you were going to use a temp film for a wrap?

Again - I may be wrong about that...But if I'm not????

J Hill Designs

Besides - and maybe I'm wrong here - could use some help or verification, but isn't IJ8171 a temp film? If so - you were going to use a temp film for a wrap?

Again - I may be wrong about that...But if I'm not????

It's perf

edit: looks like temp perf..but meh idk

Well personally we do not order any materials until we get approval on the design for just this reason. I would say that if any artwork was done take that out of the deposit and return the rest to him, a deposit is a place holder for just this type of thing happening.

fmg

OK.
Here is how we resolved this just for the record.
We agreed that he will be responsible for any re-stocking fees charged to me by my vendors, He also agrees that there is a 10% fee to pull out of the agreement to which he can credit it against any future work that he may want within 3 months from date.I also gave him the option of crediting the whole amount if he thinks he will obtain the van in the next month or so.He was happy at that and so was I.Thank you all for your input and advice I feel I can go home and sleep easy tonight.:thumb:

HulkSmash

OK.
We agreed that he will be responsible for any re-stocking fees charged to me by my vendors, He also agrees that there is a 10% fee to pull out of the agreement to which he can credit it against any future work that he may want within 3 months from date.I also gave him the option of crediting the whole amount if he thinks he will obtain the van in the next month or so.He was happy at that and so was I.Thank you all for your input and advice I feel I can go home and sleep easy tonight.:thumb:

I think you made the right move...

SignManiac

is it me or is the motivation still balancing on "what's in it for me"? you can't replace a piece of your soul with a dollar. things aren't connected so directly in life. i work with the most honest business man i've ever met. he'd rather lose money than be considered opportunistic in such a situation. he's now listed in the fortune 5000 fastest growing company list. why? everyone trusts him. if he says "i'm not making a profit", or "this client needs a discount" he is to be believed.

it's not about money. it's about business. long term karma stuff.

Call me a dumb businessman but I'm with Artbot on this. Sure I've been burned a few times over my career but...I've had more good fortune come my way and I sleep pretty well at night. I may be an atheist but I do believe that karma is all around us, good and bad.

OK.

sounds like a good and reasonable deal to me!

CheapVehicleWrap

OK.

Ahhh. Another happy ending.

Kentucky Wraps

Kentucky Wraps
I had a similar situation while back. Customer gave me a deposit on a large lighted cabinet and pan face, he later went to another sign shop referred to him by a friend of his. They still had the old cabinet from where the business had gone belly up.

He calls me on the phone, telling me he had found the original cabinet and this other sign shop would do the new face and he would be "coming by to talk to me about it". I quickly made an 18" x 24' coroplast sign in yellow and black that stated a bunch of "legalese" about no deposits refunded. When he came in I pointed to the sign. We eventually traded out the deposit's in other sign work. That little sign helped me in other situations after that. I would think about adding a sentence in the sales contract would really help.

LOL that's cheating.