• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

What's a good contour cutting machine?

Raghaus

hi all –
this forum seems to be the best place to ask about a good contour cutting machine... I don't need a huge machine, as I own a small format graphics shop and I don't really need an all-in-one print-and-cut machine either, as I hardly do any large format printing, or wraps, or signs...

I mostly make paper products, and I also have a need for the occasional contour cut sticker, sign, t-shirt transfer etc. and I have this fairly old US Cutter Laserpoint 28" vinyl cutter that's just terribly inaccurate for print-and-cut applications, even on 12"x18" sheets.

On the other hand I recently picked up this little Silhouette Cameo 4 – and you may laugh at me, but this little thing is genuinely awesome. Print-to-cut AUTO registration is spot on, and the damn thing is super-versatile, as I can also feed heavier paper into the machine.

So, here's the real question... Ideally I'm looking to replace the 28" vinyl cutter with something that performs print-to-cut accurately with auto registration without costing an arm and a leg. Would a more modern version of my Laserpoint cutter with ARMS do the trick?

thank you
Markus

FrankW

The best contour cutting system for roll cutters currently is Summas OPOS X. You will get it with the smallest SummaCUT D60R too.

APCInk

Merchant Member
Frank is correct, Summa lmakes some of the best plotters on the market. A little expensive though.
Graphtec take makes a good plotter and their new series has an upgraded the ARMS feature.
The CE7000 series is very affordable. Their FC9000 series is great plotter for high production shops. Graphtec Plotters also come with a 3 year warranty. If you’d like more information and/or a quote please let me know.
Stay safe and be well everyone!
Sincerely, John

APCInk

Merchant Member
Sorry for the typos. Replied while out for a walk with my wife. I should have proofread it before sending! LOL

PHILJOHNSON

Sales Manager
Good morning,

Summa is the only way to go for contour cutting. The Summa cutters all come standard with OPOS X, like Frank mentioned, and the sensor is very reliable and accurate. The SummaCut Series might be a perfect fit in terms of cost and performance compared to one of the lower end Graphtec or Roland cutters and cutters are guaranteed accurate on vinyl over 26' within +/-0.004".

We have some great offers on all the Summa cutters for Signs101 members and we(Airmark) have worked with many members on this site. Please feel free to PM me here or send me an email to philj@airmark.com if you would like to discuss the different Summa options and how they compare to your existing US Cutter and other brands like Graphtec and Roland.

Good luck with your search!

Best regards,

Phil Johnson
Airmark Corporation
(800)527-7778, ext 112
philj@airmark.com

PHILJOHNSON

Sales Manager
If you mean this in the literal sense, it is a lie.

I have nothing against Summa, because I have never owned one. I have run Graphtecs for years, and currently do. I have had zero problems with them, and the cuts are always spot on.

No, of course I didn't mean that it is literally the only cutter capable of contour cutting. I meant that it is the best at contour cutting, especially if accuracy is the main concern, which it was for the OP in this case. If you like your Graphtec cutters I think that is great and happy to hear they are working out well for you.

Best regards,

Phil Johnson
Airmark Corporation
(800)527-7778, ext 112
philj@airmark.com

ikarasu

Have you tested the fc9000? It’s spot on for me. I can do 150’ without it losing track of where it is. Can’t compare it to summa since I don’t have one with a take up... But I can't imagine it getting better than this. No complaints about the accuracy of the new graphtec.

Raghaus

Thanks all... I ended up getting a Summa D60 and should receive it this week. I'm pretty excited, as I recently had a good amount of orders for contour cut stickers and the latest job will be a treat with white and a lot of color ink coverage on gold chrome adhesive vinyl.

I'm already thinking about getting a roll-to-roll UV printer. Haha.