• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Whats The Big Fuss?

edwin

Don't get me wrong, I am a Corel Draw nut, it is a really awsome program, but I read in here how the new corel (X3) auto trace is so great. I am not impressed. I have tried three differant images and all differant setting and nothing is acceptible.

Mabee you guys can correct me. Mabee I am doing it wrong, but my old HP scanner will scan in vector image and do much better job.

edwin

Shovelhead, do you have time to mess with me? I will send you an image and you can auto trace it. Don't edit the nodes, just trace it. If it turns out well, then I will ask you to teach me. If it does not, mabee I can teach you.

Teach you? You seem to be the king in this forum! but you never know.

Techman

Well edwin,,
I tried just about every tracer out there,, from adobe streamline to Eurovector, to flexi (which by the way had a good one), Magic Tracer and a few others. A couple of which were very expensive..

In my experience.. Corel X3 is the best i've ever used. It is not a perfect answer to some stuff. But. It is now my exclusive tracer. As my new location cranks up I know it will make me money and save me time. If fact, this utility smoothes out some really bad stuff into something adequate.

Likewise, this is the same response of nearly every one I know who uses X3's new addition.
But, I also know that some will never be happy with this X3 package. So, if you do not mind,,, please tell me which trace utility you use. I'd love to use your favorite if it fits my needs better than X3.

--techman

Cadmn

many times this discussion we all have our faves & what works for one might not for another

2NinerNiner2

Edwin - attached is an example of "the fuss" :) The image on the left shows the JPG I was sent and the image on the right is the un-retouched, default settings Corel X3 Auto-trace that I used to produce the 2.8' x 7' banner that the client was very impressed with. Too easy! :) 'Auto-trace' and 'Create Boundary' alone are worth, to me, more that the price of the upgrade :)

Attachments

• diambars_banner1.jpg
    diambars_banner1.jpg
    28.5 KB · Views: 173

Shovelhead

Fred is the king...............

edwin said:
Shovelhead, do you have time to mess with me? I will send you an image and you can auto trace it. Don't edit the nodes, just trace it. If it turns out well, then I will ask you to teach me. If it does not, mabee I can teach you.

Teach you? You seem to be the king in this forum! but you never know.

I'm just a loyal subject.
I don't remember anyone saying that an image was ready for reproduction
without a little node editing.
:thankyou:

edwin

Techman said:
Well edwin,,
I tried just about every tracer out there,, from adobe streamline to Eurovector, to flexi (which by the way had a good one), Magic Tracer and a few others. A couple of which were very expensive..

In my experience.. Corel X3 is the best i've ever used. It is not a perfect answer to some stuff. But. It is now my exclusive tracer. As my new location cranks up I know it will make me money and save me time. If fact, this utility smoothes out some really bad stuff into something adequate.

Likewise, this is the same response of nearly every one I know who uses X3's new addition.
But, I also know that some will never be happy with this X3 package. So, if you do not mind,,, please tell me which trace utility you use. I'd love to use your favorite if it fits my needs better than X3.

--techman

The old HP scanners would actually scan in vector mode, and actually do pretty good job. Hp 5300 and hp 6300 and a few others. Its not real obvious (their is not a button that says vector). Scan in black and white and choose proper region type. Bring it in corel and veiw it in wire frame.

edwin

Shovelhead said:
I'm just a loyal subject.
I don't remember anyone saying that an image was ready for reproduction
without a little node editing.
:thankyou:

I only mentioned "don't edit the nodes" because if you did then I wouldn't be able to tell how well the scan performed.

Techman

Dont understand your topic. Are you saying that X3 sux because you have an old scanner that does better? 99% of us do not have an old HP scanner and thus must MAke Do with what we got.

So using X3 to scan and vector is what we got and so far i seems to be the best we got..

edwin

Techman said:
Dont understand your topic. Are you saying that X3 sux because you have an old scanner that does better? 99% of us do not have an old HP scanner and thus must MAke Do with what we got.

So using X3 to scan and vector is what we got and so far i seems to be the best we got..

Not saying that X3 sux. I just had high expectations from all that I read and so far the auto trace has not impressed me. I will continue to try differant images as time goes on (only have limited time to play around and expierment).

Anyway you can get one on ebay for about 50 bucks.

OldPaint

i prefer STREAMLINE 4.0 nothing works as well...not sayin its the best but if i try something in X3 and it looks bad, i can usually get it better in STREAMLINE...plus i like the steamline cleanup and eraser/fill function....iam used to it.....so it does a better job for me...

Cadmn

streamline is now livetrace in cs2? I think I know 4 was last streamline actually realeased by adobe according to their web site