• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Whats the max width for a sign on a single post?

Notarealsignguy

Arial - it's almost helvetica
We have some 36w x 24h reflective signs that the customer wants mounted on single U-channel. Do you think 080 would be sufficient or do we need to step up to .125?

Gino

Premium Subscriber
That would never work up here in the north. I also doubt with the high winds you get during hurricanes and other tropical storms it would hold up well. It'll wibble/wobble like crazy, even cemented in the ground. The sign will hold up, just not the installation.

Notarealsignguy

That would never work up here in the north. I also doubt with the high winds you get during hurricanes and other tropical storms it would hold up well. It'll wibble/wobble like crazy, even cemented in the ground. The sign will hold up, just not the installation.
That's what they have now, it looks like the loch ness monster got ahold of it. Still attached to the posts though
IMG_0808.jpg

ikarasu

There are some 24x36-in signage that is mot ( Canadian dot) specs with two holes in the center so they are made for poll mounting.

If it gets really windy there they might get bent a little from the wind, but it would have to get really really windy in order for the aluminum to rip. .081 should be fine... But if it was a sign we were designing we would at least go up to 1/8 if they insisted on one poll

ikarasu

Give them a price for 1/8, then give them the price for 081 and tell him first wind storm it will look like the Loch Ness monster ate it, their choice!

8 out of 10 times the customer listens when we tell them they need a beefier spec, the other two on a 10 times when they come back complaining we say well, we told you what we recommended and you went with the cheaper option.. so that's what you got.

Notarealsignguy

Give them a price for 1/8, then give them the price for 081 and tell him first wind storm it will look like the Loch Ness monster ate it, their choice!

8 out of 10 times the customer listens when we tell them they need a beefier spec, the other two on a 10 times when they come back complaining we say well, we told you what we recommended and you went with the cheaper option.. so that's what you got.
They just get a bill and 4 signs of my choosing. The check at the end drowns out any complaining

Notarealsignguy

Billct2

That sign looks like it was in a hurricane and the sign stayed on the post so the issue isn't the aluminum.
I would still prefer two posts for a 3' wide sign though.

JBurton

Signtologist
I always figured 080 was primarily used since it gives relatively easily when struck by a car. I'd step it on up to .125" though, and mount it to two horizontal sections of unistrut if you're concerned about the wobble. (spoiler, it'll probably still wobble unless you get a 2" square post instead of U channel.)

Notarealsignguy

I think the sign gets hit on a regular basis so a single pole would maybe have more give? They just called and need it tomorrow sooooo it's either gonna be 080 if we have a drop or 6mm with 3 holes in it. Apparently someone hit it with an excavator.

Precision

I've used some metal sigb support straps - forgot what they are called at the moment - for signs that are large on the pole in heavy wind areas (Fontana). They bolt to the center and sides of the sign. A highway sign fab shop will have them.

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
I would do something like the attached... anything less and it will just topple over... like Gino said. Do it right the first time. Might want to get your own engineering to verify.

Untitled.jpg

citysignshop

Yes you can beef up everything....but.....Is that really the sign copy?
THAT's what determines the width of a layout! Who said it has to be 3' wide?
Use a different condensed font, and make the sign 24" wide and 36" tall.
Problem solved. :)

JBurton

Signtologist
Gotta get some rebar in there too, plus the crushed stone to hold the base off the dirt prior to pouring.