• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Discussion What's the most common design mistake you see made in sign design?

What's the most common mistake people make when designing a sign?

• Total voters

Gino

Premium Subscriber
When they say..... ahh, let me give it a try. I'll show you what I'm thinking.

BC, before computers, that was easy, cause nobody could draw past a stick figure, but ya have these puter ninjas and just start pressing buttons like flies on sh!t. They're all over the place. In the good ol' days, we'd just hand 'em a magic marker and say 'go to town, kiddo'.

Chuck Peterson

Bad contrast. Black outlines on red letters on a white background. Would have looked better with no outline, or a pale color. I see it every day.

Hollywoodsigns

Designer, printer
I hate it when I design a great looking graphic for a vehicle and can not make it look good on the opposite side, So I have to start over. or even worse is when my boss or the customer designs a design gets it approved never thinking of the opposite side and I am the bad guy for not making it work.

SignMeUpGraphics

Super Active Member
Most of our clients seem to use graphic designers that only know how to make things look good online.

We frequently get files without outlined fonts, colours way out of CMYK gamut, thousands of clipping masks and so on.
The amount of time we spend on cleanup would sometimes compare to a complete re-design from scratch.

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
Most common design mistake:
Customer: "Let me show you the design I have made - do you have PowerPoint?"

Last edited:

Jester1167

Premium Subscriber
You forgot the use of every filter in the book on one design.

My biggest pet peeves are using too many fonts in a design and squeezing and stretching fonts...

shoresigns

Most of our clients seem to use graphic designers that only know how to make things look good online.

We frequently get files without outlined fonts, colours way out of CMYK gamut, thousands of clipping masks and so on.
The amount of time we spend on cleanup would sometimes compare to a complete re-design from scratch.

I completely disagree. It's the printer's job to know how printing works, not the client's graphic designer. Print shops shouldn't need to make clients produce files to a spec. If you have a competent designer or prepress operator, they should have no problem dealing with all the examples you mentioned.

binki

Bad signs have some or all of those 'qualities'. Mostly though, if I am driving by at 35/45/55 etc. and I can't read it at a glance it didn't do its job. What is the general rule? 1" in height per 100 feet on a clear day? Less is more for street signs.

Notarealsignguy

Arial - it's almost helvetica
Bad signs have some or all of those 'qualities'. Mostly though, if I am driving by at 35/45/55 etc. and I can't read it at a glance it didn't do its job. What is the general rule? 1" in height per 100 feet on a clear day? Less is more for street signs.
My pet peeve is gigantic highway signs with small inline text like it is some sort of fashion statement. I'm getting older and cant see things so good. A big sign should have big text, not just a giant green box.
How many of these things are design flaws vs personal preference? If you really want to get philosophical here, is it really a bad design if the customer wanted it and was happy?

Bobby H

Arial Sucks.
shoresigns said:
It's the printer's job to know how printing works, not the client's graphic designer. Print shops shouldn't need to make clients produce files to a spec. If you have a competent designer or prepress operator, they should have no problem dealing with all the examples you mentioned.

Um, it’s not that simple. First, I sure will never buy this popular American mindset that anyone can be a graphic designer or artist. That’s part of where this scourge of DIY design originates. They figure since computers are involved and you supposedly don’t have to do any manual drawing or painting by hand then anybody can do the work. They don’t consider the fact art and design talent is a lot like being able to sing. Most people can’t sing well at all. But these people want all the “glory” of doing the design work themselves anyway. Worse, they usually make zero effort to learn any of the technical issues that go with the job. That includes understanding things like gamma limit differences between RGB and CMYK, or just making the stupid design legible to passing motorists.

We just completed one anger inspiring project with a lady opening a health oriented grocery store. Of course she insisted on designing her own logo. I got second guessed thru multiple revisions on the building sign and street sign face. The problem was her brand didn’t mean anything and the important “grocery store” lettering was really tiny in relation to it. I tried adjusting around that by creating some new lock-ups that fit the existing sign cabinets much better. Same fonts, just different arrangements. She wanted it looking like her logo, regardless how tiny the vital lettering might be or just how much negative space would be left on these faces. And she wasn’t even buying new faces, just sticking some vinyl graphics on old existing faces. To top it off, her artwork was RGB-based, using a max gamma bright green color. So she wanted to gripe about how the green vinyl we spec’ed wasn’t as bright as her green, nor was any attempts to print it.

Let’s face it. Many customers doing their own DIY design work don’t know what they’re doing and bake all kinds of stupid, unworkable garbage into their “art.”

GAC05 said:
”Let me show you the design I have made - do you have PowerPoint.”

Way too many people in the military think PowerPoint is the only “graphic design” application that exists. We do a lot of work for the Army. PPT files come with the territory. At least we get paid for the raster to vector conversion jobs.

Last edited:

SignMeUpGraphics

Super Active Member
One of the popular ones is requesting vector artwork. 9 times out of 10 they will print the document to a PDF writer and send through the result... which is just an embedded raster image. Frustrating.
This isn't on the designer, it's usually the business owner who thinks they can "trick" us and get away with it, even when we've specifically described type of file we require and difference between vector and raster files.

Photoshop is for photos - not signage.

visual800

Damn, where do I start.

People use too much imagination and not enough simplicity. Too many vehicle are designed like roundtrack dirt car decals. Loud and proud is their motto. photographers and anything wedding related seem to wear out the same crappy script found on pinterest. I started out hand painting where you learn to put Name, What they offer and a contact number, boom , done!

Signmeupgraphics above said it best....Photoshop is for photos not signage.
Lightining bolts, waves of color, splash designs all over the background is distracting and not very professional. If a client comes to me with "crap" artwork I try and do a side by side and clean their act up...sometimes it works sometimes it doesnt. Some are grateful some are offended.

People do not know how to design. People do not know how to grab attention without trashing the whole storefront or vehicle.
I feel its my duty to try and save them from their minds.

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
I haven't read the whole tread, but I just see laziness and lack of time/creativity as the biggest design flaw. Like people using arial on white background.

Jeremiah

I hate to see too many different Fonts. I gave a customer a quote for 4 banners. He said "ok I will call you next week and drop off the deposit" . He called me and told me about the great deal he got on the banners from a guy who works out of his van for 2/3 of my price. . I drove by to see the banners . They had 7 different colors of letters each in a different font.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Can someone please show me an example of what "kerning" is? I am new to this so I haven't heard the term yet.

Honestly, you should start your own thread on a subject like that. There is only one definition for kerning, but there are a few schools of thought on how to go about it and no need to booger up this guy's thread with arguments and nonsense.

peerlessdani

Honestly, you should start your own thread on a subject like that. There is only one definition for kerning, but there are a few schools of thought on how to go about it and no need to booger up this guy's thread with arguments and nonsense.
Is it hurting anyone by me asking here? The topic has already been brought up here so that's why I asked. Would it have killed you to explain it to me rather than being negative towards me? I did try to search google for it but since I have never even heard of it I didn't know which one to look for because I saw kerning for a few different things.

peerlessdani

The irony in your response to me;)