• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

When the town says "We'll take care of hanging that over-street banner!"

fresh

You can show them this picture and explain to them why its best to leave it up to the professionals.

Thankfully we didn't have anything to do with this fiasco, but it keeps showing up on my feeds.

Attachments

• IMG_1671.jpg
    IMG_1671.jpg
    78.6 KB · Views: 97

bikecomedy

Ahm same thing happened in the city where my shop used to be located. Despite multiple explanations and offers of help they received a similar result. Luckily no one was hurt.

2B

Actually that's why I would prefer the town to do it.

exactly,

and since the light pole is laying on the ground, how is installing the banner by professionals going to change the damage to the pole?

Pat Whatley

Based solely on the look of the banner and the rainy street my guess is that it was printed on regular vinyl banner material and turned into a giant sail in a storm. A 2' X 20' banner in a 10 mph wind is putting over 1000 pounds of pressure on each pole, figure in the leverage factor and that's a whole lot more pressure than those metal light poles are designed for.

(no, i'm not gonna break out the physics books and figure it up)

SignosaurusRex

That looks to be more of proper Light Pole and foundation installation failure rather than a banner install issue.
Judging by the length of the cables, that appears to be a small banner.

OldPaint

AND i guess you woulda anchored the light poles to a building???? and who was gona give you permits/permission to do that???? your better off letting someone else do installs................

fresh

Actually that's why I would prefer the town to do it.

True, but if they did it properly, it most likely would not have come down. We've never installed one of these, on the few occasions we've had requests I gave really high "ball park" for just the banner, not the install. Nobody wants to spend real money on these things, so I've never actually sold one. I won't even suggest less expensive options on something like this.

fresh

AND i guess you woulda anchored the light poles to a building???? and who was gona give you permits/permission to do that???? your better off letting someone else do installs................

I wasn't involved in this project, but if I was, I probably would have suggested another location or solution all together. It would never occur to me that a lightpole would be a sufficient anchor for a large banner.

fresh

exactly,

and since the light pole is laying on the ground, how is installing the banner by professionals going to change the damage to the pole?

Would you even consider attaching a banner to a light pole?

Marlene

Based solely on the look of the banner and the rainy street my guess is that it was printed on regular vinyl banner material and turned into a giant sail in a storm. A 2' X 20' banner in a 10 mph wind is putting over 1000 pounds of pressure on each pole, figure in the leverage factor and that's a whole lot more pressure than those metal light poles are designed for.

that's why a mesh banner with a low percentage of area that is solid is what a street banner should be made from. either that or it has to have many many holes in it. it looks more like went with cheaper bid from banner shop that was clueless as to how to make a street banner and then hung by city people who don't know either

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
We were asked to do this in the parking lot of a local car dealer. The light posts had a manufacturer's decal warning not to attach anything to the poles and listed banners by name. It looked like (to me) they were set up so that if something ran into them they would shear off at the base to either lessen the impact to the vehicle or minimize the damage to the footing for easy replacement. We talked them out of it.

wayne k
guam usa

CP Signs

I do some for the town here. 24in x 24ft long. And they install all the time. This is a very old town. I want nothing to do with the installation.