• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Where do you buy your brushes?

GP

Since Santa forgot I wanted to start hand lettering this year, I am treating myself to some brushes?

Where do you get your supplies for lettering / sign painting?

Based on earlier advice, looking to get Mack quills, in odds or evens.

GP

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Photoshop has quite a few. :rolleyes:

I can't remember the last time, but Dick Blick and Glantz sells a lot of nice brushes. Also, 'Excalibur' has a nice selection. He's in New Jersey.

Everyone develops a feel for the brush they like, so buy a few #4's through #8's in various manufacturers and see which ones you can control and work with the best. They all handle differently.

markz

South Karolina....

:wavingflag:QHF, quill hair and ferrule
if you order send in a wish list, cause they always call back and only have about 1/2 the brushes i need or would like to have.

Mack is a good place and the others mentioned like Rayco or Hyatts. some college art sites carry some sign brushes, brown or gray quills tip you off they aren't the " bob ross" variety , but meant for the control mopping 1- shot requires for a nice consistent and smooth look. the vinyl weenie folks use photoshop brushes.
Zman.the rookie.

clean them out with MS, then pat dry and dip in oil, trans fluid will work but Walldog oil is better so they never get hard and you loose a good investment. hand work the oil into the hairs down to the ferrule. you really can't over oil them. and lay them flat between use so they don't loose the form you prefer or need .

Jillbeans

My N Glantz still will bring the box brush around if I ask.
But I prefer the metal-ferruled brushes from here:
Handover
or here:
Wright's of Lymm
I also like Mack brushes but not sure if you can buy thru their site or if you have to use a distributor.
I prefer the red-handled quills.
Love....Jill

Craig Sjoquist

Here is the best brushes I bought in 2011

Attachments

• dec23-11 011.JPG
    dec23-11 011.JPG
    159.5 KB · Views: 85